Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement of filter caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have a switch mode power supply that has two 250V 220uf caps. I am unable to obtain the filter Caps in the dia and length that I require (23mm Dia x 30mm length) Board mount. Can I replace the caps with 250V 330uf caps that I can obtain in the correct dimensions.
By using this 330uf cap's would this give a more smoother DC wave sign.
Is this the only thing that will change, or is there other effects on the circuit.

Just make sure the caps are designed for switch mode supplies. ie: designed with low ESR and high frequency/current ripple in mind.

kchriste said:
Just make sure the caps are designed for switch mode supplies. ie: designed with low ESR and high frequency/current ripple in mind.

By the type and Voltage of caps , i feel they are in the Mains side and work at 50/60Hz

Ofcourse, I understand the need for return path of the switched energy on the inputside. while generally Low ESR caps are prescribed on the output side. That is what made me to request for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back