Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement for BS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I have developed a device that reads a serial string and then displays the string in an LED matrix. The device uses a Basic Stamp (BS2) for the processor and works well so far.

I would like to add a push-button and transmit a character string back to the host when the button is pushed.

Unfortunately, the BS2 cannot monitor the serial input and the push button at the same time. If I timeout the serial input, then it is possible to miss the first character in the string.

That should I do? Is there a serial buffer I can use or should I change processors. If change processors, then to what (I would like something easy for development)?

One other note, I would like to change to RS422 so I can have multiple displays (2 or 3) on the same circuit. I understand the potential of data collisions with two buttons pressed (and two characters transmitted) at the same time, but I can handle that in software.

Thanks,
Dale

Any 18F series PIC and Swordfish BASIC SE (free) will out perform any BASIC Stamp and you should find going from Parallax BASIC to Swordfish BASIC fairly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back