Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replacement Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

vne147

Hey everyone. I need to find a replacement cap for the one in the picture below. I think it's a metalized propelyene film cap. I looked around and was able to find a bunch of caps with the same specs but the package is quite a bit different and since I've never worked with this type of cap before, I'm unsure. I found this one:

Film Cap

Is it OK? It's got a different package but all the specs with the exception of tolerance line up. Preferrably, I'd like to find one with the same case and lead type but either they are not widely available or I don't know what to look for. Thanks for your input.

EDIT: Sorry, accidently put this in the wrong forum but would still appreciate the help if anyone knows.

Attachments

• Cap.jpg
    Cap.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
That cap at Digikey is an oil filled run capacitor. It is way bigger than the one you need and designed for different purposes. You are looking for a completely different type.

It may be way bigger than what I need but would it be a suitable replacement for the cap in the picture? If not, what would be? The cap in the picture came out of an AC attic fan.

What about this one? MMK37.5106J400R06L4TRAY Evox Rifa / Kemet Polyester Film Capacitors

Voltage is higher rating, but thats just fine.

EDIT - Just noticed its not stocked, maybe the manufacturer could help you find it though, not sure.

Yeah I found that one too. But like you just noticed, it's non-stocked and the heat of summer is bearing down on us. Can anyone say if the cap from digikey would work or not? From what I can tell the original cap is a run cap for an AC motor running on 110 VAC that powers an attic fan. Thanks.

Try looking for a local Electric Distribution company, like Peninsular here where I am. The should have them.

Yeah, it would work. It is considerable overkill but would work. If you can find a company that reworks motors they could likely set you up with a cap for the cheap.

Ron

Thank you all for the help. I'll continue trying to find an exact replacement through the avenues that everyone has suggested but in lieu of that, it's good to know the capacitor I linked to in my original post will work. I couldn't think of any reason why it wouldn't but like I stated earlier, I've never used that type of cap before.

Since the original cap failed (I assume) then it would be good to get a more reliable device, and the oil filled cap in your link is likely to be, since it is specifically designed as a motor run capacitor. It should be an improvement over the original, so I would go with that.

Since the original cap failed (I assume) then it would be good to get a more reliable device, and the oil filled cap in your link is likely to be, since it is specifically designed as a motor run capacitor. It should be an improvement over the original, so I would go with that.

Actually, it didn't fail. A squirrel chewed through one of the wires coming out of it. The little ba$*ard severed the wire right up against the case making repair difficult if not impossible. But thanks anyway for verifying it would be a suitable replacement if not an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back