Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace RGB signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabio323ti

hi to all member,
i would to modify my 2din car navigation system.
Gps module are nowada 2450 that use RGB signal out to board..

Now.. i wish to use a external GPS Unit, like BMW mk4 or VDO ms system.. that's also have rgb output signal.

so. i had replace RGB signal from external unit and soldered where original RGB from chinese module... result.. image are very distort... not opened and out of requency.

what can i do to make a correct C-sync signal to view correctly image?

thanks to all.

Fabio

You will first have to find out from datasheets or the manufacturers precisely what signals (voltage, frequency etc) are output by and expected at the inputs of the units. It sounds as though there is a mis-match somewhere. Only when you have that information can you make any necessary signal modifications.

Then I think you're stuffed; unless you are prepared to try modifying the signals in some way and risk damaging the units.

i just replaced rgb+csync output.. and i need to know hot to coupled signal.
i do not know why cvbs are common to all application and RGB have 100000 variant....
thanks

i just replaced rgb+csync output.. and i need to know hot to coupled signal.
i do not know why cvbs are common to all application and RGB have 100000 variant....
thanks

Composite video is normally NTSC, PAL or SECAM video. These are standards!

RGB might be VGA (3 to 4 modes), EGA, or any format. (RGB only means Red, Green, Blue. No resolution or modes are implied.)

common modes=320x200 640x400 640x480 800x500 800x600 896x672 1024x640 1024x768 1152x720 1280x1024 1440x900 1600x1200

Composite video is normally NTSC, PAL or SECAM video. These are standards!

RGB might be VGA (3 to 4 modes), EGA, or any format. (RGB only means Red, Green, Blue. No resolution or modes are implied.)

common modes=320x200 640x400 640x480 800x500 800x600 896x672 1024x640 1024x768 1152x720 1280x1024 1440x900 1600x1200

Bear in mind these are computer modes only, they aren't TV modes - RGB for TV uses the same standard as the TV itself, and is completely different to VGA.

thanks for reply.

the gps unit i wish to connect have also a tft monitor but use a Csync(N) so i need to invert signal and try.

i also have doubt about resolution... i have a tft 800x480 capable.. and gps unit use a smaller tft monitor... and i'm sure resolution it's lower.

if i have different frequency of Csync can i correct or modify it?

thanks

I do not know about your tft monitor!
Many monitors need sync with in +/-10%. There is some give and take with the number of black pixels during blanking. The displayed pixels are fixed!

Some monitors have scan converters and can take a range of formats and display then correctly. This ups the cost of the monitor. There is usually a second PCB full of parts to do this job.

The question is "Do you feel lucky"? With out data on you monitor and on the GPS................................

@fabio323ti, where did you solder those cables?
I own a Novada 2440 (winCE 5, 320x240) and want to connect a second display for it.
There is a video-output Cinch cable but you can not see the GPS-menu.
So I saw this Turtorial and soldered a SCART cable to the RGB signal, but did not get any picture.
Could somebody explain me how I can do this?
Here is a picture of the pinouts (those pinouts are correct for my board, because I soldered an USB-Hub successfully):

**broken link removed**

@fabio323ti, where did you solder those cables?
I own a Novada 2440 (winCE 5, 320x240) and want to connect a second display for it.
There is a video-output Cinch cable but you can not see the GPS-menu.
So I saw this Turtorial and soldered a SCART cable to the RGB signal, but did not get any picture.
Could somebody explain me how I can do this?
Here is a picture of the pinouts (those pinouts are correct for my board, because I soldered an USB-Hub successfully):

Hi s@b@n!!

I am trying to do that as well... Did you managed to get that signal out??

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We need more information.
With an oscilloscope look at pins 4 through 8 and tell me what is there.
By the names on the pins it looks like there are three modes of operations.
Pin 8 may be an input and selects modes.
"distorted video" and " no video" does not help much.

mmm I knew that someday I would need an oscilloscope... have to buy one.
I thank you very much already for your answer and interest.

In fact this Nowada board is integrated on a 2din GPS (one of many...) . The GPS has two parts, one is handling the radio, mp3 player, DVD, and the other (Nowada board) is handling the GPS. It has an integrated screen and it allows PIP (picture on picture) and 2-zones screen.

It has this design in order to allow for example, the posibility to watch a DVD on the external back seats while you are watching the GPS on the main screen (the integrated one). However, it does not allow to see the GPS on the "external" screen.

I, and probably s@b@n, am trying to have the GPS (based on wince 6) video signal out, by extracting it directly from the Novada board.

Therefore, and in order not to screw up the system, my idea (humble mechanical engineer...) was that it could be possible to connect to those pins, and bring the signal out. I first tried with a CVBS (yellow RCA) connected to pin 3,4 without success. Later I connected YPbPr to my tv (pin 4,5,6). What I saw when I did that, was that the main screen (embeded one) started to loose colors but the TV was not receiving any signal.
This gives me the hint that the output that is under use might be YPbPr or RGB but for sure not CVBS.

However, thinking and searching I realized what for you might be obvious... one output --- to --- one output .. Am I correct?? the signal cannot be sent to two displays directly and I sould work on a duplicator or something like that before being able to do so...

It is strange because those navigation systems based on the Nowada board have been hacked and re-hacked but nobody worked yet on this output problem... In any case I am obstinate and I enjoy learning new things, so in case this does not seem as an easy project...

could any of you recommend a place/book to start studying video signals and so on? And would an oscilloscope be a must-to-have? I have some experience on electronics (and a box full of resistors, capacitors, mosfets... ) but not enough for this item I guess...

I do not like bordering people due to my lack of knowledge, and dont want to fill the forum with basic questions, first rdfm (for those who know linux..) and once I am ready I could deserve asking questions ;)

I've progressed a little bit... I discovered that there are two main components that guide the video signal of the autorradio.
One is the TW8811 wich takes over the internal LCD and allows PIP (picture on picture) configuration, as well the integration of the different input (from the GPS and the DVD etc... This component is fed by a switch matrix component called SGM6501. And I think that that is the key component for our purposes. (you can easily find the datasheet googling)

From my point of view, this component is the one that allows 2zones display, it has 12 inputs and 9 outputs.
Somehow, the SGM6501 is programed so that some of the inputs can be outputed but the matrix, unfortunately was not suposed to allow the GPS output.

I shall do the next steps:
-Try to follow the output signals over the PCB in order to identify the different assignements (input/output)
-Try to identify the Matrix topology

As mechanical engineer, I would test manually all the inputs outputs with a screen... but this is electronics my friend, and I can burn the components...

Another option would be to try to re-program the SG... but there is no info about that and this would require some expensive material that I cannot afford...

I do not know yet either the nature of the signals RGB, composite??? and from the datasheet this might be anything...

Isn't that a challenging project??

I am afraid that I will have to unmount again the GPS to take extensive photos in order to do reverse engineering...

If somebody is willing to help that would be appreciated :)

Thanks a lot!

hi there...

Im trying to have the same... Change the original LCD from nowada systems...

Did you found any solution?

I parked the project for a while, but mi first option would be to test the LCD on the outputs of the Matrix board (the one that switches between the GPS and the internal OS (for 2-zones etc)). That looks like the most feasible solution for me, but I am a little bit worried about burning the chip... Russian blogs have plenty of information about this, but nobody did provide me further info about possibilities here or on other forums.

Sorry of being not so helpful...

burn the chip is not an option.....

Im wondering... the cables who connect the stereo to screen maybe have the AV signal...

For example I have the renault megane.. and in top I have the lcd.. maybe we can follow/search for the signal
And if we have lucky..the others systems is the same... but i dont know for what to look....

check the attach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back