Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace relay switching with output from ULN2803.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmasephol

I've previously completed a project where I built a display using some 4" 7 segment LEDs that are controlled using some 4511's. I interfaced the 4511's from a printer port relay board that I had purchased a while ago (Kit 74).

I used 4 of the relays to control the A-D lines on the 4511's and then used 3 of the relays to control each individual LE on the 4511's. This allowed me to write out a 3 digit number using a program on the computer.

I wrote the number by writing the binary digit to all 4511's and unlatching then relatching an individual 4511 that corresponded to the number I wanted to change.

My problem is that my new computer doesn't have a printer port. I purchased a usb board from Elexol and instead of getting the relay board that I could have just swapped in I opted for the UNL2803 board because I wanted to try to eliminate the noise and delay of the relays.

Just to clarify I'm a computer programmer, not an EE so I'm struggling.

The old way I controlled the LE on the 4511 by something like this...

Ground ---- 10K resistor ---- wire to the LE on 4511 ---- wire to the relay N/C pole

9V ---- wire to the relay Common pole

So when the relay was open the LE would be low because it was connected to the ground, allowing the digit to be changed. When the relay was closed the LE would be high because of the 10k resistor (electricity takes the path of least resistance right?), latching the current digit so a different 4511 could be changed.

On the new version I want to replace the "switching" of the relay with the ULN2803. If I understand that board correctly when the input on the ULN2803 is turned on it grounds the corresponding output of the ULN2803. I'm having a hard time grasping how to make the LE on the 4511 high when the output line of the ULN2803 is not activated.

Can somebody help me fit this into my project?

I'll try to draw up a better diagram and attach it.

If the outputs of the 2803's are open (collector) when off, then just connect a separate 10k-50k resistor from the each of the outputs to the plus logic voltage. Then the voltage will go high when the 2803 output is off.

If the outputs of the 2803's are open (collector) when off, then just connect a separate 10k-50k resistor from the each of the outputs to the plus logic voltage. Then the voltage will go high when the 2803 output is off.

Can you somehow draw a picture of this, I'm having a hard time picturing how exactly that would look.

Can you somehow draw a picture of this, I'm having a hard time picturing how exactly that would look.

Look at this image.

AAesp03..gif

Thanks for the picture and help, I'll have to wait until tonight to give it a try. I thought I tried that setup but maybe I had something wrong. I'll report back.

Ok I was able to breadboard some stuff up and got it working. The only thing is I've now gone from when the output is "on" meaning the line to the 4511 is high to meaning the line to the 4511 is low. This is ok as I've adjusted my code that handles writing to the serial port but I have to ask is there an easy way to invert that logic?

will this help??

to invert just use a hex inverter
I think a 4069??

Attachments

• 2804..PNG
    2804..PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 557
Thanks for the help, I've got my project working. I didn't have a hex inverter handy so I made it work with the programming changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back