Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace 10 PP3 batteries with 4 AAA batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I have a piezo driver that consists of a 555 timer supplying a signal to a high power opamp. The setup works well, the piezo vibrates. The problem is that the opamp and piezo require around 80Vpp. So my portable device is using 10 PP3 batteries. I would like to replace the PP3 batteries with 4 AAA batteries.

These are my input and output power requirements. They aren't fixed in stone.

For opamp supply I require +40V to -40V. Opamp max output +35V to -35V at 50mA (About 4W)

4 AAA batteries supply 6V and 2A at a push. I say at a push because my piezo will only have a life of 5 minutes so I'm happy to burn out the batteries.

Piezo power +/-40V at 30mA

How should I do this?

Thanks.

You need a switch mode power supply, which will require a custom transformer.

But instead of that, why not just use a custom transformer to feed the piezo from a lower voltage amplifer (which is what's normally done).

I do have another piezo driver, it is a 555 timer - audio amp - transformer - piezo. It works ok. The problem with that setup is that it requires 8 PP3 to provide current to the amp, or alternatively the two 12V lead acid batteries I have. So it isn't any more portable. Maybe I need a different amp from the two I have? I don't know what is simplest.

The audio amp I currently have (LM3886) has a minimum supply of +10 and -10V. As an audio amp it has an ideal output impedance around 4 ohms. So typically into the transformer I get 3Vrms at 1Amp and 3Watts. That is fine and the transformer does the rest.

I don't see how I can get 4 AAA batteries to do this, I also need a bipolar output. I must think/design.

The audio amp I currently have (LM3886) has a minimum supply of +10 and -10V. As an audio amp it has an ideal output impedance around 4 ohms. So typically into the transformer I get 3Vrms at 1Amp and 3Watts. That is fine and the transformer does the rest.

A normal amplifier IC isn't a very good choice, they lose too much of the available power supply - best choice, as I said, is a 12V supply and a car radio IC which will give 4W to 4 ohms. Or a bridged IC, which will give 16W to 4 ohms.

How do you manage to only get 3V RMS off a 20V supply?, you're losing over half of the supply.

I don't see how I can get 4 AAA batteries to do this, I also need a bipolar output. I must think/design.

Why would you need a bipolar output?.

A normal amplifier IC isn't a very good choice, they lose too much of the available power supply - best choice, as I said, is a 12V supply and a car radio IC which will give 4W to 4 ohms. Or a bridged IC, which will give 16W to 4 ohms.

How do you manage to only get 3V RMS off a 20V supply?, you're losing over half of the supply.

Why would you need a bipolar output?.

I get it, I was just looking at high current opamps, I will have a look at car radio IC's. The additional problem I have is that I need a fair amount of bandwidth, 100KHz isn't too far away from audio but some chips run out of gas at 20KHz. I'm losing a fair amount of power from the LM3886, partly due to slew rate and partly due to heating, its got quite a big heatsink. I couldn't say exactly how SR and heating interact with regard to power. I really want to shrink everything down, to reduce the number and weight of batteries and not need the big heatsink and chip, it is a bit over powered at a max output of 68W for my more modest needs.

PZT expands with a positive voltage and contracts with a negative voltage so this is how it can be used in vibration mechanisms. They can be broken through cracking if they vibrate too much. For example a piezo might be fine at +/-40V but if operated at 0-80V it may break at 45V so you lose vibration from -40V to 0V but only gain 40-45V. That said the piezo i'm using might be ok for higher positive volts, I haven't tested it for that, but now I have realised I should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back