Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repalcing SPST relay with transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopperdog

I have gotten my 555 timer working, and it triggers a relay.
However, the relay may be a bit too slow.
Is it difficult to replace the relay with a transistor?

I think it would be simple, but I could use advice.

Thank you very much.

Chopperdog

As usual, not enough info.

What is the load voltage and current?

Does the load need to be isolated from the 555 timer circuit?

Last edited:
Here is more info, thanks for the help.

12v circuit, 555 astable oscillator, using a 1k resistor between pins 8 and 7, the a 60k resistor between 7 and 6, and a 4.7uf capacitor between 6 and ground. Pin 3 which connnects to the relay and pin 1 ground.

The relay is closing a switch to a 12v, 1 amp circuit.
Yes, the load needs to be isolated from the 555 circuit.

It works, but is a bit sloppy.

Thank you for your help.

Chopperdog

By isolated I mean does the load use the same 12V supply or does it require an isolated power supply (no common ground), which is what a relay can provide? If the two grounds can be connected together, it significantly simplifies the circuit required to do the switching.

Then why does it need to be isolated?

Then why does it need to be isolated?
When I asked if it needed to be isolated from the 555 timer circuit, I believe he thought that meant whether the 555 should drive the load directly.

You are correct. I thought you were asking if the 555 would drive the load directly.

The 555 and the load are both powered by the 12v battery, and both are grounded to the common ground of the car, but the 555 is switching a relay that affects the load.
My intent is to keep them seperate, allowing higher current on the load if required.
Also, it's a way to explore and learn about relays and transistors.

Hope all this makes sense.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back