Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing my GFX Card - 6800 LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

XuryaX

My Geforce 6800 LE isnt working good, getting black screen error.

So i found a tutorial which is mentioned here:

Code:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4061/capmod35gz.jpg

So, my local shop knows everything in shortcut doesnt know about details.

He cant udnerstand the Lower ESR Values.

But he can undertand the capacitance value.

So, according to tutorial it says Capacitance Value ~1000-10000 µF. Voltage rating > 4V.

Practical values
C=3300µF
V=6.3 - 16 V.

Now he has 3300 uF but the voltage rating is 25 V nand tempreature is 85 C.

In tutorial on a forum, where i got this image from says.

Code:
- SMALLER ESR spec. is BETTER e.g 0.025 ohm vs 1ohm
- SMALLER dissipation factor (tan d) spec. is BETTER
- LARGER ripple current spec. is BETTER e.g. 4 A vs 1 A

- LARGER temperature spec. is BETTER e.g 105 vs 85 C
- LARGER can size spec. is BETTER (too large can be bulky)
- LARGER voltage spec. is BETTER (too large value >25 V means large can size)

So, help me. I am kinda confused. :)

Last edited:
Yea, i wanna know if i can use 25 volts capacitor. with 3300 uF rating and 85 C.
- LARGER voltage spec. is BETTER (too large value >25 V means large can size) - Tutorial says this. Means maybe i can use 25 Volts.

Kinda confused.

I dont even know the absics of a capacitor and stuff, so kinda am confused.

Last edited:
I don't know about ESR, but I do know that I can use a higher voltage cap in a circuit. I do it quite often. It's just overkill but it should be fine.

An 85C cap is not a low ESR cap.
Needs to be 105C, low ESR.

My old Gforce Ti4600
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
It seems like computer grade capacitors are electrolytic-aluminum. You should definitely go for 105C or higher for stability of the graphics card.

I think it would be safe to tell your local techie that ESR is practically impedance.(this should be confirmed by a more experienced poster)

Wet tantalum capacitors are another choice but they go for like 90$ a piece at your specs.

And I know that this will not help you much since the minimum order is 250 pieces but you can have an idea of the price range and what you should look at on your data sheet research. Or maybe your local shop can invest in some of these for future repairs.Electrolytic-aluminum capacitor

These are the other aluminum capacitors I found that might be suitable for you from digikey again.

Last edited:
An 85C cap is not a low ESR cap.

Not at all, 85 degree caps can be low ESR as well.

Needs to be 105C, low ESR.

I keep nothing but 105 degree caps these days, there seems no point in keeping 85 degree ones - almost all failures are high-ESR, and using a higher temperature capacitor helps to extend their life.

This isn't to say that all 105 degree caps are any good, they are a number of really poor ones about, and they don't have the life of even 85 degree ones.

This isn't to say that all 105 degree caps are any good, they are a number of really poor ones about, and they don't have the life of even 85 degree ones.

Agreed, even the 'quality' stuff seems to have shipped off to China, leaving the quality behind. I'd like to find a local supplier of Jap made units, but despite all the pre-sale assurances they come with a Made in China sticker.

So I just replace them every 12months and save my breath.

sPuDd..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back