Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Repairing cicuit board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leendert1985

Hee guys,

I recently destoyed my laptop by spilling water over my keyboard :( . On the picture you can clearly see the damage of the short-cicuit on the motherboard.

This (picture) is the only place where the components appear to be damaged. On the rest of the motherboard you can't see anything

ALso my hard-disks where still intact, so that's why i think that the short-circuit is local

But because my laptop is too old to buy a new motherboard. I want to place new components.
My question is if that's possible. Because are these(picture) the only components that are damaged, or are other components because of the short-cicuit also damaged, even if you can not see it with your eye?

So can anybody tell me if repairing this is worth to try?

Attachments

• PRINTPLAAT FOTO.JPG
    PRINTPLAAT FOTO.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
Wow, that made quite a mess. It would be really hard to say what all the damage is. The IC looks like a Maxim part but I could not read the numbers. If you can tell what the part number is you might try to swap it out and cross your fingers. The data sheet for the part may give you a clue of its associated circuitry.

Mikebit, your right it's indeed a maxim part. I can read the part number. But I think I will try to buy all the parts next week which are visible damaged and just try if I can bring the motherboard to live again.

Im not a big star if it comes to electronics. But is there a way to test the electronic components with a Multimeter if there still functioning? I mean does components on the picture that surrounds the IC (dont know there name, are those condensators?).

What is the part number of the Max IC?

The first thing to try is to take some 99% isopropyl alcohol and your roommate's toothbrush and scrub the mess off.
Tilt the board so the alcohol and suspended mess will run away from the dirty IC's legs. Dip the toothbrush in the alcohol. Hold a piece of paper towel against the PCB, below the last of the corrosion, to catch the goop that will run off and scrub the legs of the IC in the direction of the legs. Scrub the other contaminated areas below the IC also. ReDip the toothbrush in more alcohol and repeat until it isn't getting any cleaner. Blow out any alcohol that may remain trapped under the IC. If the pins are still all attached to the IC and the traces appear intact, then you can try and see if the laptop still works. If not, you'll need to remove the IC, clean under it, inspect the traces under it and replace the IC if the traces are OK.

Last edited:
That is a High-Efficiency, Quad-Output, Main Power-Supply Controllers for Notebook Computers

It may have gone bonkers when the water hit it. You do not know what circuits were subjected to what voltage for how long. Still worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back