Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

repairing an incubator thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

clembishop

Hi friends,
I have an incubator thermostat which required replacing a microchip,namely CA3059(h9219).
I finally managed to get the chip in question but instead of being CA3059(h9219) it is CA3059(h9440)
Can anyone tellme if it should do the same job ?

hi clem,
Checked the datasheet and I cannot find any reference to that [xxxx] number after the CA3059, so I would assume that its just a manufacture batch number.

Its zero voltage switch, so I would say the new one will do the job.

As the original CA has failed, it would be wise to check out the remainder of the circuit in case the problem which caused the original CA to fail has been corrected.

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
The latter numbers are a date code. The h specifying something like factory. The 9440 is 1994, week 40 standard numbering. The CA3059 is a nice chip. Used it for an aquarium heater probably when I was 12 YO. You have to watch gate current.

Hi KISS,
Many thanks for that.I have fitted the chip and everything looked OK. I switched the power on and the heat source (a light globe) came on.However, the trimpot in the circuit has no effect on the heat source.I thought perhaps I need to change the thermistor

SCR's and triacs fail shorted usually. If the gate resistor is omitted, then the chip fails eventually, but it takes a while. You failed to mention if the element failed on or off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back