Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

repair newb looking for help with monitor (3007wfp-hc) backlight issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dSteve

Hello,

I have this great monitor that I spent alot of money on and only been using it a few months. I used it last night, working perfectly, turned it on today and I now have a shadow gradient running from about the centre to the top. Its gets darker as it reaches the top edge. (top half of screen is about 50+% dimmer than the bottom half.)
I thought perhaps it might be a backlight issue, Its not my windows as I unplugged the video dual cable to bring up the test colours screen and the shadowing remains.

Obviously my warranty just expired last month (typical).

Im not sure if its that actual light or the backlight inverter, as stated im a noob and only learned about this stuff today.

I mocked up pretty accurately how it looks, the top image is how it should look and the bottom is how mine is now.
**broken link removed**

Many Thanks

Steve

ps having a string of bad luck as my pc fried my video card, psu and mobo 2months ago, had to replace it all luckily my hard drives were fine.

Last edited:
This must be a backlight issue. Usually there are two small compact-fluorescent tube bulbs behind the screen. One at the top, one at the bottom.

Obviously your top bulb has burnt out. If you open up your monitor , you should be able to find the bulb. Then it's just a matter of taking out the old one, and putting in a new one.

Thanks for replying, do you know where i can find out which one and size i need and roughly the cost of one. My monitor is 30". Would there be any soldering involved.

Cheers
Steve

ps Im based in UK.

Last edited:
The model of the LCD monitor will be needed to find a suitable replacement. There shouldn't be any soldering involved, as the fix is as easy as changing a tube-style light bulb. :)

EDIT: OOPS! I see you included your model in the title... Give me some time to find a suitable replacement! :D

Last edited:
OK - I have been searching for a while and can't find a bulb that will work in your monitor. I know it's out there, but locating the correct model is hard. It seems like they are a lot easier to find for laptops, not separate LCD monitors...

With some monitor set-ups, you WILL have to de-solder the old bulb, and solder in the new one. (Just so you know!)

Maybe some of the more experienced tv / lcd / monitor guys can help out?

thanks for helping, hopefully someone will know where i can get one. I'll try calling some repair shops.

cheers
steve

thanks for helping, hopefully someone will know where i can get one. I'll try calling some repair shops.

To be honest the replies seem a little over optimistic? - it's usually a complete strip down and rebuild job of the LCD panel, which is supposed to be done in a clean room. It's also not very easy to source CCFL's for them, but tube failure is FAR less common than inverter failure, where small capacitors go leaky (15pF 3KV - something like that), or transformers fail.

Maybe I was too optimistic.

When I replaced the bottom bulb on my LCD monitor, it was easy. I just found it online, and popped out the old one, and stuck in the new one!
I guess they are not all designed like that.

Did you ever find a replacement bulb for your 3007FPW? I am having an issue with mine and I'd like to replace my bulbs.

My screen is very, very "yellowish" compared to other LCDs. I have 2x 2405FPWs sitting on either side of my 3007FPW and they are fantastic monitors with very bright backlights 6 years later. I just got the 3007FPW on eBay (sigh...) and the auction was totally misleading. The monitor is fine physically and it works, but the backlight is absolutely terrible. If you have any advice on where to buy a bulb and how to replace it I would really appreciate it.

but the problem looks to be the invert as Nigel Goodwin said cuz if you look at the pic its the same pic so there for its bright when 1st turned on then after a few sec it happens plus the bulb will be burnt out will not light ever again lol

Check LCDParts.net for the lamps. Some of the newer LCD's that I have gotten into the lamps are really hard to remove. Especially the larger size monitors.

Hi I thought I'd ressurect my old post. Its been about a year and thought I'd have another stab at it. Basically last year I moved away, right in the middle of my repairing research. So now im back and love to get this sorted.

I called dell they said they dont repair monitors which is brilliant, my warranty is expired so I can return it. Is there anywhere in the UK that repair dell monitors or could I buy parts for it.

If I do buy parts would 3008 lamps work, any help would be amazing as I payed alot of money for this and only got a month out of it before it broke.

Thanks
Steve

how is the brightness top versus bottom if you disconnect the dvi and just let it run in the test screen colors ?
does the brightness function buttons work ?

Hi the top of the screen in duller than the bottom and is the same in test mode (disconnect dvi). Its seem to be fine for a split second when I turn the monitor on though, so maybe its a inverter issue. And the brightness functions still work. I currently have it set brightest so that the top of the screen is more viewable.
I tried contacting repair shops and none could help me, some said to replace the actual panel (ye right).
Its a shame as I spent alot of money on this monitor and only got a month or two out of it. But its not too bad as when playing games and watching stuff its not too noticable or maybe im just used to it.

Hi Steve
I have worked on 100 of these 30 inch screens.
I have NEVER seen a bad bulb or a bad inverter yet on one of these style.
That does not mean that it isn't your problem.
What is tough on these to diagnose is the fact that they will stay lit even if one of the bulbs is completely unplugged. Most monitors will black out when there is a bad bulb.
so it is possible that your problem is a bulb.
Was it dropped or banged ?

I any case, it would have to be opened up and a few things looked at starting with the 8 bulb connections (yes there is 8, not two like the other person that had replied thinks) unplug and replug each bulb and check the wires for possible bare spots or burns near where they contact metal. If connections and exposed wires are ok, then the power supply needs a look-see May be low power coming out of it, but I doubt it is that because low power would cause more of a darkness on the left side of the monitor.

RE: opening the actual lcd panel !!
This can be a dangerous task to do if you are not careful because you could damage a ribbon or crack the screen. So try the tests below first.

Easiest way is to test it using a few external bulbs to see if the inverter is ok
bulbs from almost any 24 to 30 inch will work for testing. the plugs may be different so they would have to be removed and plugged in just using the contact in the plugs.
Other way to check is below if you do not have bulbs.

The controller board can sometimes cause partial screen darkness. Usually this affect one of the sides more than the bottom. Normally this wouldn't affect the screen in the solid color test pattern colors.
A way to check if it maybe the controller board, would be to unplug 2 of the 4 video ribbons between the controller board and the actual lcd screen. Do 2 on the same half of the monitor. This will get rid of any video on half of the screen and will just show a lit white screen on the other half. If the white side is all the same brightness, then it is the controller board.
If it still is dark at bottom on the all white side, then it's a bulb or in the inverter.

I thought that I had loaded the disassembly for these to youtube, but I just checked and I guess that I did not get to it. So I will do that now.

disassembly info

Disassembly info is now on youtube
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Z8-eYknmc
Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKvAirYSqUM

Another way to check inverter and bulb function would be to flip the inverter upside down and end for end and connect it. Plugs will all have to also be twisted and flipped over to plug them in.
If darkness changes sides of the screen then the inverter is probably a problem. If it doesn't switch sides then the inverter should be ok.
If your inverter has the small single wire at the one edge of the inverter, It does not need to be connected

I have the same problem. I did take my monitor to a repair shop and they said it needs a 3007wfp Display Drive Ckt and they havn't been able to find one. Dell doens't have it. not sure that is the problem after reading the post. However I'm going to check out your flip of the ckt trick and see. If it is the ckt board, where can I get one?

Thankyou bammbammfran for your explanations and videos, you are like the only guy on the internet with some experience fixing these screens and sharing their knowledge, Kudos Sir !

My Dell 3007WFP-HC has a dark shadow on the left side of the screen (and very light shadow on right-middle of screen. If I unplug the DVI, the test colors red, green , blue , black and white all look perfectly fine. As soon as plug in the DVI the shadow affect occurs (mainly visible on grey or medium blue).

I have opened it up and have actually changed 3 caps (220uF 25V) where the DVI plugs-in PCB. Didn't solve the problem. I've looked at the power supply and didn't notice any obvious cap bulging or burn marks.

When the screen is cold (turning it on for 1st time) the shadow is not there, after about 30 minutes it begins to appear and gradually gets worse.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
If its the controller board , what usually goes on the controller board that would explain a shadow water staining on left side of screen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back