Repair 3.5mm jack with mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocking

Good evening everyone. This is my first post and I appreciate any responses given. I could not find an article with a similar setup as mine so I apologize in advance if this has already been posted elsewhere or if this is the wrong category. I am embarking on a diy fix for my sons gaming headset to avoid throwing out a good headset and buying a new one. I have dissected the wire and plan on re soldering the wires to the jack but I’m not sure which wires go where. I have labeled the wires and the locations on the jack. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the site!

The red/gold are most likely the headphone ground. Probably lacquer insulated, you may need to pass it through a flame to remove the insulation so it is solderable.

Green & Blue probably the two earpieces - which is which, is trial and error..

The white should be the microphone, with its own separate ground screen, and the inner red being the mic signal.

On the plug:
1 is left earpiece,
2 right earpiece,

3 is ground, both headphones and mic screen.

4 is the mic signal (the inner red).

Momentarily touching the headphone ground and one or the other earpiece wires to the ends of a 1.5V battery (eg. an AA cell) should make the appropriate earpiece click, so you can tell which wire is which side.

As I say, there is some guesswork in there without being able to test out the wiring properly; but it's the only combination that makes sense from what I can see..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…