Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing sqr from binomial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

So say we have x²-2. Is there a way to rid the square and keep the binomial true? In other words we need to keep it X+/-? in the for x+? or x-? but do away with the square.

So say we have x²-2. Is there a way to rid the square and keep the binomial true? In other words we need to keep it X+/-? in the for x+? or x-? but do away with the square.

i remember "modulus" represented by two vertical lines one on each side, -- if I am right, it might mean positive value of the parameter?

Modulus function

never practiced for last 40 years, thus no continuity

Last edited:

Are you asking how x²-2 can be factored? if that's the case, x²-2 = (x+√2)(x-√2)

If you can accept an approximation, you can linearize about a selected point.
Use a Taylor Series Expansion, but take only the first two terms .....
Taylor series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
..... If your independent variable value is too far removed from the evaluation point, the approximation won't be valid. ... Just depends on what your objective is.

My objective was to solve a polynomial long division problem using synthetic division, because I screw up long division. So Say I have

x²-2/8x²-x-2

This would have to be done with long division, but if it were in the form
x-?/8x²-x-2

It could be done with synthetic division.

My objective was to solve a polynomial long division problem using synthetic division, because I screw up long division. So Say I have

x²-2/8x²-x-2

This would have to be done with long division, but if it were in the form
x-?/8x²-x-2

It could be done with synthetic division.

Solved by my wife:
1/8 + (1/8)(x-14)/(8x²-x-2)

No warranty implied ;)

Your right Sarma. I got the numerator denominator swapped. :eek:

if (x²-2)/(8x²-x-2) is the correct, I already posted an equivalent expression in which the numerator is a 1st-degree binomial. Have you checked it??

if the numerator and the denominator are swapped :confused: it's even simpler to get rid of the square with simple algebra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back