Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing solder mask from trace on PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fractal5

I found the following video helpful. However, I don't know what the tool being used around 1:20 is called, the tool that appears to have a sharp edge which he uses to scrape off the solder mask on the trace.

Can I just use a small precision knife for the same purpose, or am I likely to damage the trace then?

I always use a knife with a chisel blade, though it does tend to dig into the copper. A stiffer blade would work better, but mine is extremely cheap. The tool in the video looks a lot better, I must try to make one. The trouble with a small precision knife is it tends to make fine scratches, when you really want wide scrapes. You could modify an old screwdriver so it's shaped like a tiny carpenters chisel. Solder resist is very tough, but don't be tempted to scrape hard because the copper underneath can be quite fragile. Just keep scraping gently until you see shiny copper.

Good luck!

I don't know what the tool being used around 1:20 is called, the tool that appears to have a sharp edge which he uses to scrape off the solder mask on the trace.

Cetainly is an odd thing, isn't it! I have never seen anything like that before.

When I have done things like this before, I have used a scalpel blade with the sharp edge trailing the direction of scrape to prevent dig-in of the sharp edge into the copper trace.

JimB

I use an X-Acto knife to do the job. Repaired several boards that way, never had a problem.

Hey I've got one of those! Had it years and years and years - never use it!

So, that's what that is. I had or maybe have one ages ago and never knew what it was. It was always too harsh erasing paper and since I almost never throw stuff away...

So, that's what that is. I had or maybe have one ages ago and never knew what it was. It was always too harsh erasing paper and since I almost never throw stuff away...

I never knew you could erase paper! :D

Sorry KISS, couldn't resist :p

I have erased paper before. LOL

Actually, you're right. Now that I think about it, a lot of my high school and college homework ended up with large holes in it from all the erasing I had to do :p

I got mine for erasing rust from the rust spots on my car. Worked really well too.

A watchmaker's screwdriver, one of the medium sized ones (to cope with the most common track widths), suitably sharpened on emery paper or similar abrasive, would do the same job as the scraper in the video. Even a small electrician's screwdriver could be modified in the same way. A gentler approach would be to tamp some steel wool into one end of a piece of microbore tubing. That way you can push out and replace the wool when its full of gunk.

There's more than one way to skin a PCB: https://www.scribd.com/doc/18677728/Stripping-Solder-Mask

Last edited:
I used a fiberglass pen for a while, but then began using pieces cut from a fiberglass push cable which would have otherwise gone to the garbage. Any fiberglass rod will work well, and you can get a softer 'brush' by squeezing the end of the rod with pliers. Discarded tent poles should work well. at a much cheaper price than the shiny nice pen.

I used a fiberglass pen for a while, but then began using pieces cut from a fiberglass push cable which would have otherwise gone to the garbage. Any fiberglass rod will work well, and you can get a softer 'brush' by squeezing the end of the rod with pliers. Discarded tent poles should work well. at a much cheaper price than the shiny nice pen.
I dont like to get fiberglass all over me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back