Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing solder "grease" in an environmentally sound way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evalon

Good morning,

Hope you can help with this: I need to remove some solder "grease" (what is left after soldering) in an environmentally friendly way and would appreciate a tip on how to do this ...

Best regards,

Jesper

You mean remove flux residue?

Methylated spirits and a quick scrub with an old tooth brush works well for me.
Cheap and easy to get too.

Pete.

denatured alcohol & brush

Modern flux removal sprays contain no CFC's so you can use them with an environmentally clear conscience.

Hi All,

Appreciate your suggestions. I reckon I already have a brush & alcohol or spirits in house so that probably will be my way to go.

Best regards,

Jesper

I read an H-P field service bulletin many years ago that said if you don't have the facilities to "completely" clean a repaired board, the solder flux from a repair should be left in place.

Ken

That actually makes sense, because brushing alcohol just seems to spread the flux over the board.

it does spread it but i do it in 2-3 steps and absord old alcohol each time so there is almost noting left on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back