Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing Potting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy1845c said:
Well, I tried the paint stripper I have, and it didn't do anything after several hours of soaking. It says it contains methylene choride: 79-09-2 I don't know what the numbers mean though?

Can you get just methylene choride? Or is paint stripper the closest I will come with out being a chemist?

The number after the name methylene chloride is probably the CAS number. It links to a variety of resources and is an unambiguous way to identify chemical compounds. Almost all consumer chemicals in the USA have them or are listed as proprietary.

As for availability, fortunately many chemicals are still available in the US to ordinary citizens. You can try the online auction site, Google, or common industrial supply places, like Fisher. Here is a llink to one of a few online sourses:

**broken link removed**

First, you will be shocked by the prices, because you will have to pay list price ($50 for 500 mL of technical grade). Second, supply houses like Fisher will put you through a screening process. You may have have to show evidence of appropriate training and experience. I am not sure the online place does anything to screen. If you go the route of getting methylene chloride, do not get the anhydrous form or waste money on the high purity forms.

The link given by mvs sarma sounds worth a try. Dimethylformamide and other "super solvents" (e.g., dimethylsulfoxide and hexamethylphosphortriamide - HMTP) might work. 1-Methyl-2-pyrrolidinone, which is in many of the so-called "green" paint strippers may also work. Again, though, consider cost of the chemical versus the value of the parts you will recover.

John

justDIY said:
have you tried freezing it? like in a bath of pure ethanol and dry ice

Umm.... no.... Do you think that might work? Again, the cost of the supplys would probably exceed the 10 bucks I paid for these supplys.

Might be fun just to try though!:D

jpanhalt said:
First, you will be shocked by the prices, because you will have to pay list price ($50 for 500 mL of technical grade).

Wow. Yeah, thats far more then I have invested in these power supplys. I would think I would need about a gallon to soak all 3. They are pretty big.

You must be a chemist or a teacher? You seem to know alot about chemicals.

I work for a potting Company and I do Potting for Wire Harness and such. The only way to get the stuff off is to Heat it up with a heat gun.

You could try liquid nitrogen, but that might break the part your trying to recover also..heh.

Andy1845c said:
Wow. Yeah, thats far more then I have invested in these power supplys. I would think I would need about a gallon to soak all 3. They are pretty big.

You must be a chemist or a teacher? You seem to know alot about chemicals.

Hope that you could make some progress or desided that it is not worth the exercise, Andy1845C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back