Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Removing heat sink grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I have a couple of Lamina light engines that I initially tried out by applying heat sink grease to the back. Now I want to attach them permanently to a project with thermal epoxy. I will not be using additional mounting hardware (screws, etc) to hold it down so that epoxy bond has to be good.

So I need to clean off this grease completely to ensure the epoxy bonds correctly. How do I clean this up? Isn't this a silicone base? Even alcohol, actone, thinner, etc usually have no effect on silicone, it doesn't work as a solvent and is like trying to clean up grease with water.

Oznog said:
I have a couple of Lamina light engines that I initially tried out by applying heat sink grease to the back. Now I want to attach them permanently to a project with thermal epoxy. I will not be using additional mounting hardware (screws, etc) to hold it down so that epoxy bond has to be good.

So I need to clean off this grease completely to ensure the epoxy bonds correctly. How do I clean this up? Isn't this a silicone base? Even alcohol, actone, thinner, etc usually have no effect on silicone, it doesn't work as a solvent and is like trying to clean up grease with water.

You get a special silicone remover,I have a tin of it (aerosol can) and it works very well.You should (not sure of your location) be able to obtain it from your local building supplier or kitchen/bathroom renovators.

Good Luck

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

This stuff is what you need to glue it on. From what i know normal epoxy resin will actually weaken with heat. This one on the other hand will actually cure with it (up to a certain point) . And it is much more heat conductive.

To clean it off i would use methylated spirits or denatured alcohol. Pretty easy step.

EDIT: To find a retailer of this stuff head down to your computer hardware stores. They are usually loaded with this stuff.

yer get solvant to rem,ove the compound. we have access to MEK at work and that stuff is fantastic at breaking down thermal paste,

meths might work or prolly better white spirits

yup MEK = Methyl Ethene Ketone
dunno if it is just PVC primer, but it is very good - good for getting flux of PCB's as well

Hi, try it with Coca Cola. It works in most cases. Be sure to wash the Coca Cola away imediately after the grease has been removed, otherwise th sugar from the Coke will remain like a coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back