Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote wireless detonator (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help designing a wireless remote detonator. It needs decent range +100m, and money isn't really a problem for it. Please send me all suggestions, and any links to helpful wevsites you may know of.

Thanks, FoxtrotUniformgb

foxtrotuniformgb said:
no i'm not a terrorist
im just a bored teenager
Oh, I forgot. Terrorists like to blow themselves up.

When I was a bored teenager, my bombs went up like rockets. Guess what happened to my rockets. BOOM!

A rocket powered skateboard?
You'll set your pants on fire.
How will you stop?

The kids around here stop their skateboards by running into a pole or a tree.

audioguru said:
The kids around here stop their skateboards by running into a pole or a tree.
It's a self correcting mechanism since it makes them forget why they wanted to do stuff in the firstplace.

There is a very difficult to see line between a PVC rocket engine and a PVC pipebomb. Doubt you would need 100m for a skateboard. Hey, aren't you the same guy that was asking about potassium nitrate last week?

What's the deal with kuds and pipe bombs these days? There have been atleast 3 busted locally past month or so. Public school must really suck these days. Guess they forgot that if you keep a kid busy, he doesn't have the time or energy to get into trouble...

HarveyH42 said:
There is a very difficult to see line between a PVC rocket engine and a PVC pipebomb. Doubt you would need 100m for a skateboard. Hey, aren't you the same guy that was asking about potassium nitrate last week?

What's the deal with kuds and pipe bombs these days? There have been atleast 3 busted locally past month or so. Public school must really suck these days. Guess they forgot that if you keep a kid busy, he doesn't have the time or energy to get into trouble...

Well I recall doing some risky and downright stupid things when I was a teenager. However I never asked for help and figured I was just cleaver enough to make the Darwin cutoff line and also not get caught ;)

So I won't preach, however I also won't give any advice. Let Darwin decide by natural selection.........

Lefty

Yeah, I know every kid has a natural need to break the rules. But it is odd we've been getting a lot of explosive related posts past few weeks, but you would figure a kid would be smart enough not to ask for help from complete strangers. I'm sure we have at least one or two hobbist involved in law enforcement. Maybe the poster has no intention of putting others in danger, but some of the kid might use the same info to bomb his school. Obviously, nobody would help here.

These type of things were done in secrecy when I was a kid. I have 4 brothers, and we usually didn't ask each other for help much, but were usually all in on the actual "event" when it was ready to go. Then again, there were no PC computers, barely video games, and dad was a gun-nut, so blackpowder was readily availiable...

I can't say I blew anything up when I was younger. The most we did was egg houses and corn cars. I grew up in the sticks, so no cops and we usually got away with anything for the most part...then again why didn't I build explosives?? What a boring childhood..haha

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

You'll shoot your eye out kid!

Your story does not jive, the control over a skateboard would be in the hands of someone on the skateboard. Nor would you want a radio link which might be triggered by a garage door opener or well... anything.

There is nothing wrong with playing around with explosives providing you do it safely and only blow stuff up an a field with no people or animals in. Explosives are a perfectly decent hobby in my opinion, providing you handle and store them safely I don't see a problem.

In this case I think the original poster is probably more likely to be a terrorist rather than a hobbyist. The thing that struck alarm bells was that he said that cost is no issue. A hobbyist will want to do everything on the cheap whilst a terrorist won't care.

Hero999 said:
The thing that struck alarm bells was that he said that cost is no issue.
His parents will pay any amount for their son to be worshipped as a martyr.
Weird, aren't they?

im not a terrorist if i was id just use a damned pay as you go cell phone then i could do it from anywhere in the world, but i want it to look sorta coool

thats kinda a good point. lol, but seriously, why would you need a distance of 100 meters if you yourself were talking about how you would stop this contraption.

Also, a pvc pipe bomb would be pretty terrible in terms of damage, you might poke out an eye at best, as pvc has a psi rating of around 330. along those same lines (as a packaging engineer) pvc would be a terrible choice for a solid state rocket as well. One it contains so many plasitcizers that under shock stress it is quit brittle, two, it is terrible under heat extreems, and three, once it starts on fire, and it will start on fire, the vinyl chloride monomer will be released and is a pretty bad carcinogen hence its ban in the european union, its ban by the FDA for food products, its ban by for use in medical products and equipment etc.

So you are left with a rocket that will destroy itself, the vehicle its mounted on will be ruined, it will have no structural integrity to usefully direct the exaust and give thrust, and you will get lung cancer. Or you will be the laughing stock of your terrorist friends when your pipe bomb doesnt really explode, and you shrapnel will be large chunks of softened plastic that will burn people at best.

Either way, maybe you should rethink your plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back