Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymo

I have a project that I have started on that involves the turning on of a power source. I plan to use standard 120vac as the power source that will be turned on. my problem is that the signal that i want to use to turn the circuit on is roughly the equilivant of a AA battery (1.5v); I can boost the 1.5v to either 6 or 12v if needed. I thought that I could use a SCR to take care of this but I am not sure if 1, a scr will work, or 2, what kind of scr to use. The idea is to have 120v run through my circuit to power a light which will remain off untill the 1.5v signal trips the circuit and turns it on and stays on after the 1.5v signal fades. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
In particular, a solid state relay that is designed for 120 VAC. Try googling "solid state relay" and see what turns up.

Electronic Goldmine (google them too) has 120-230V 10AMPs solid state relays for a fair price.. Input was 3+ volts DC.

I bought 10 at I want to say $4-5 each on my last order.

out of curriosity, how can anyone recommend a part without knowing the current requirements?

I read low DC volts and 120volts AC out. I too think he is looking for a solid state relay, so I recommened a low cost one that will handle 10AMP. He never stated the current, so I posted what this relay could handle.

But you are right. More details will get him a better solution.

As far as current goes, the 120vac that I want as an output needs to have the amperage of a wall socket. In essence I want a small power source to flip a switch and turn on a light that normally would be plugged into a regular wall socket. Hope this helps.

raymo said:
the 120vac that I want as an output needs to have the amperage of a wall socket. In essence I want a small power source to flip a switch and turn on a light
An 1800W light?
You will be able to cook yourself with that much power!
A wall socket can supply up to 15A. A light uses less than 1A.

lol. welcome to reality. You could find a relay (SS or mechanical) that will switch 15A but you will pay for it. If you want to switch a light, then you can get by with a much more modest device. For example, take a look at dimmers, the consumer ones are rated up to 600 W (about 5A) - controlling more adds needless cost since the vast majority of applications will be no more than 300W..

I suggest you figure out what you want to control and design for at least 50% over the current draw.

So if an average light pulls around 1amp then a relay capable of 1 or 1.5 amps should be sufficent, right? The light I am talking about is like an average desk lamp, or something close to that nature, 60w bulb max.

So a 1amp circuit would be sufficient to power a 60w or 100w bulb. As far as the relay goes, will it stay on after the initial electrical signal? Simplified, i can get the origional 1.5v to that of 6 or 9v but that only occurs for 3 seconds. I need the relay to latch and stay on and provide the 120vac current to power a desk lamp from the (1.5v, 6v, or 9v dc current) initial 3 second signal. What else do I need besides a relay to accmplish this?

You can wire a mechanical two-pole relay to latch itself on. But then you need an electronic circuit to turn it off.
You need a flip-flop circuit and a triac or relay. Then a signal turns on the light and a repeated signal turns it off.

At this point, I would move to a TRIAC and use a MOC303x to control it (and bag the relay). the MOC303x datasheet has a pretty complete circuit. Use a flipflop to drive the MOC. switch toggles the FF. debounce the switch. https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/MO/MOC3033-M.pdf

obligatory pitch for super cheap uC: a <$1 8 pin micro could do the toggle, debounce and drive the MOC.

quick question do the internal batteries on the (Tektroniks 211 oscilloscope) have to be able too hold a charge for the external or A.C power to make it function. I'm guessing they do or I have to keep looking for my lost manual. THANKS FOR INFO DON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back