Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote switching using DTMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickpin

Right suppose i have a main transmitter (rig) remotely linked with STl to get the audio to it Either band 1, 3, or x band)

I need to remotely switch the rig on and off. This is what i have though of doing.
Using a DTMF receiver chip to trigger an electronic latch which will then hold the relay to switch my rig. (i.e. one pulse from the DTMF receiver rig goes on. Another pulse from DTMF receiver rig goes off toggling the latch and therefor the relay). Ok thats fine and will most probably work but...

What are the chances of whilte noise or audio/speech/music accidently triggering the remote latch circuit? example i could use 697 Hz and 1209 Hz sent down the audio link to toggle the relay/switch rig on/off. obviously having some DTMF generator sent down the audio link.

Would this be an acceptable way of doing it?

Hope someone can help with this one or maybe suggest an alternative.

stickpin said:
Right suppose i have a main transmitter (rig) remotely linked with STl to get the audio to it Either band 1, 3, or x band)

I need to remotely switch the rig on and off. This is what i have though of doing.
Using a DTMF receiver chip to trigger an electronic latch which will then hold the relay to switch my rig. (i.e. one pulse from the DTMF receiver rig goes on. Another pulse from DTMF receiver rig goes off toggling the latch and therefor the relay). Ok thats fine and will most probably work but...

What are the chances of whilte noise or audio/speech/music accidently triggering the remote latch circuit? example i could use 697 Hz and 1209 Hz sent down the audio link to toggle the relay/switch rig on/off. obviously having some DTMF generator sent down the audio link.

Would this be an acceptable way of doing it?

Hope someone can help with this one or maybe suggest an alternative.

DTMF is a 40 year old technique, 'modern' (20-25 years old?) methods would be to use a digital coded system - which is far faster, more reliable, capable of far more, and cheaper as well.

PIC's are the way to go!.

Yeh agreed maybe i'll try that but with using DTMF a mobile phone could just be used down the mic. Easy! and the receiver would cost £2 max with the relay. I'd like to try this first since i have all the stuff. I dont have a pic programmer at home either.
What do you think about it being accidently triggered though? what are the chances of white noise or audio doing that?

thanks

stickpin said:
Yeh agreed maybe i'll try that but with using DTMF a mobile phone could just be used down the mic. Easy! and the receiver would cost £2 max with the relay. I'd like to try this first since i have all the stuff. I dont have a pic programmer at home either.
What do you think about it being accidently triggered though? what are the chances of white noise or audio doing that?

Depends on how long a reliable tone the decoder needs?.

30 years ago, DTMF receiver ICs had a spec in the datasheet called, "talkoff" where speech would cause random decoded DTMF outputs. It occurs a few times per minute. It would probably occur more often with loud white noise.

well i built/tested it today and works well over a wire so it should work over a link (thats for another day).
I played some music through it and it didnt trigger it so hopefully this should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back