Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote Speaker Switch/Volume Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlombardi

I am using a Panasonic CQ-HR1003U car stereo on my sailboat. I am running the front and rear preamp outs to a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer system to give me surround inside the cabin. I also want to run two external speakers to the cockpit area and am planning to use the normal front speaker output for this purpose. The unit is rated at 25 watts RMS x 4 channels. I want to install the external speakers with a combination on/off switch and volume control so I can cut them out and keep from irritating my neighbors while I am in "inside-listening" mode. I have some questions for any experts who might care to advise me:

1. Is it okay to run the unit from the preamp outputs only, with no load on the normal speaker outputs? If not, should I put some sort of load on the outputs, and what would you suggest for this?

2. Can anybody provide me with a quick schematic for a switch/volume control that I can fabricate to install only in the external L & R speaker feeds that will not cause any damage to the stereo itself and which will allow me to completely attenuate the outputs during those times I do not want any outside sound? This would be something I would envision mounted on an inside wall or cabinet, such as a rotary switch or potentiometer/switch combination. Outside sound "off" will actually be the most often-used condition, as the outside speakers would only be on when sailing, anchored away from home or entertaining aboard- probably around 15 - 20% of the total stereo usage time.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

One possibility is to get an L-Pad and connect to your front speakers. The L-Pads come in mono or stereo and should be the same impedance(ohms) as the output of the stereo. They also come in different wattage ratings. Anyway the L-pad is connected between your stereo and the remote speakers. As I recall with the L-Pad fully counterclockwise there is no sound to the speaker so you may not need a on/off switch. But if you want an on/off switch put it after the L-Pad as the L-Pad provides a load of the right impedance for the stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back