Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote data acquisition system

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.man

i have this project idea. it is a remote data logger and acquisition system.

the initial idea is dipicted in the diagram below. i'm hoping the idea will be a remote weather station hence there will be temperature , humidity sensors, and the likes.

the idea is that the remote station will read different sensors and prepare the data for transmission to a base station host computer.

so i'm asking for any idea for the transmitter/receiver part.

or any suggestion for change or improvement in the whole system is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• rws.JPG
    rws.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 147
Why use a FPGA?

I would use a uC then read sensors on a I2C, SPI, or Dallas 1-Wire which is a sort of standard for weather sensing.

I use 1 wire sensors to do tempeature and humidity, and pressure monitoring.

What you need for radio depends on distance.

You don't really need an FPGA on the sensor side. You can get by with a simple MCU and some analog interface for the sensors. Sounds like a fun project, hope you follow through with it.
---------------------edit------------------
Looks like 3VO posted a tad second before me. At least we are in agreement:)

I am a proponent of FPGA's, but in this case I would say not needed.

Last edited:
Why use a FPGA?

I would use a uC then read sensors on a I2C, SPI, or Dallas 1-Wire which is a sort of standard for weather sensing.

I use 1 wire sensors to do tempeature and humidity, and pressure monitoring.

What you need for radio depends on distance.

hi 3V0,

thanks for your reply.

do u mean communications is going to be a problem? what can u suggest instead?

hi 3V0,

thanks for your reply.

do u mean communications is going to be a problem? what can u suggest instead?

I do not think that is what he was saying as this sort of thing is very common, rather your distance of TX to RX will dictate the Transceiver system you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back