Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote controlled lawn mower??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike

Hi guys, after that crazy tank i built a while ago (the one with bike chains as treads!!) I've come to realise that it is absolutley useless. It serves no purpose. It just wastes electricity and time!!

so...I've come up with the idea of applying the same theory but onto a lawn mower as it is one of those chores i hate!!

Now the problem...

The only 2 options practical to provide pushing power is a hydraulic system, or a geared electric system (worm gear??)

So far the hydraulic system would require a:

-pump
-motors
-valves
-fluid reservoir
-high pressure hoses

where as an electric system would need:

-generator (if not, stupidly big batteries)
-battery
-motors
-high current power control electronics (mosfets)

obviously it looks like an electric system would be easier to handle and fabricate. The only problem is that the motors required to push the mower eat so much power that they would die in just 20 minutes from the battery size limitations.

So would a permanent magnet 450 watt dc motor be able to supply the power to 2 100 watt motors and keep the battery charged at the same time. The 450 watt motor is rated at 24 volts with 24.5 amps @ 2500 rpm??

Obviously the motors will not generate 450 watts of power at the rated rpm, but will it be sufficient??? yes the generator will be run off the main mower engine, so would it put alot strain on it???

**broken link removed** this is where the motors will be obtained. sc100 and sc450 are the motors in question.

not exactly sure how it is done in cars, but power steering and power brakes are hydraulic i believe, and connected to the engine obviously.

i wonder if there is any way to connect hydraulics to the lawnmower engine?

Pike , what is the RPM of your mower..??
how would you connect the motor/generator to your mower..??
Ps. that tank was cool

well looking at the exhaust output, the combustion happens 26 times a second. It's a 4 stroke engine so, 2 x 26 x 60 = 3120 RPM. 2x because 2 revoltions = 1 complete cycle. 5HP motor briggs and stratton.

I'm kinda skeptical on whether it would work, because afterall it is a 450 watt generator. I may even use it to start the engine itself!!

what do you guys reckon, feasible project ??

The Friendly Robotics Robomower uses two 17ah 12v sealed lead acid gel cell batteries. It has a mowing deck with 3 small electrically powered blades, two driving wheel motors and a castering unpowered front wheel. It also has a pressure-sensitive bumper in front and back and the front wheel has a switch if it leaves the ground.

That runs for like 2 hrs on a charge.

Husqvarna have had a robot mower for a while now , and like all good bots is semi intelligent and can find its own way back to its battery charger. Works around the clock and is almost silent.

Sadly it does not pick up the cuttings and if your garden is a bit on the rough side and like many of its robot mowing cousins it will have to found and rescued on occasion.

Carnegie Mellon University in a joint project with New Holland and NASA
have come up with an interesting project...dont think lawn mower ..
think grass harvester then add a splash of flavour from the cookbook of alternative fuels

how about this expensive idea. how about you get a ride on mower, get one of those remote control rigs they use on Mythbusters to remotely control cars, and get a wireless camera that displays on a TV.

you can sit in the air conditioned comfort of your home and still mow the lawn, without dealing with the inadequacies of modern AI. this would be as fun if not more fun than using a remote controlled car.

or, you can just learn to like mowing.

I like the idea of an r/c lawnmower... think of the trouble you could cause...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back