Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote Control Using PIC and RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, I need to make a remote capable of transmitting many different commands (+/-12), and controlling the speed of two DC motors, like in an rc car. I want to use PICs as the center for controlling the remote.
I have quite a few different types in the 16F range, but I am only really knowledgeable with the 628.

I am aware that there was two similar threads recently, one by RoboticInfo...

Please recommend what RF module should I get, or what should I do?

Clyd3 said:
Hi, I need to make a remote capable of transmitting many different commands (+/-12), and controlling the speed of two DC motors, like in an rc car. I want to use PICs as the center for controlling the remote.
I have quite a few different types in the 16F range, but I am only really knowledgeable with the 628.

I am aware that there was two similar threads recently, one by RoboticInfo...

Please recommend what RF module should I get, or what should I do?

I would suggest you get modules with in-built Manchester encoders and decoders, this allows you to use simple RS232 type serial data transmission. They cost a bit more, but it's worth it as it simplifies the project so much - and PIC Manchester routines seem pretty thin on the ground!.

If you want to use PIC's to do it, choose one that has two PWM channels for the receiver (like the 16F876), one of my tutorials shows how to provide PWM and reversing for two motors with this.

hey nigel, got some 876 s & 877 s handy just for your tutorials 8) , so I will do as you say, it seems to be the best route, so thanks a lot...

sorry, two quick last things,

is what I'm looking for available from Microchip, or where do you know that I could get it from?

Where can I learn more about making the required stuff for transmission and reception (example : antenna etc.) ?

Clyd3 said:
sorry, two quick last things,

is what I'm looking for available from Microchip, or where do you know that I could get it from?

Where can I learn more about making the required stuff for transmission and reception (example : antenna etc.) ?

There are various manufacturers of these modules, have a look at this one for an example. These are transceivers (two way), and include Manchester coding - everything you need to know should be on this site?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back