Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

remote control sending unit power source

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMW

Hello

I have made an IR sender / receiver unit, and want to know the best way to power the sending unit.

Currently its using a PIC12F675 which is 5 volt logic, and this obviously needs to be powered by battery, id rather not have a 9V battery as there big and heavy, but two AAA's only make 3 volt.

is there any good way for getting from 3 to 5 volts? or any other things you could suggest to resolve this issue?

Many thanks
Dominic.

you could try a 3 volt to 5 volt DC-DC converter.
you can get a bunch of results on google for making these

or i used to skin my 9volts inside are six indiviual cells smaller then AAA, i dunno if that is recommended or not. you could remove 2 of the cells and get 6 volts.

Reactions: DMW
Brainfart, never mind :(

Last edited:
well all the circuitry is, is a pic 12F675, an IR LED and driving transistor

the IR LED is driven at 100ma at 62.5% duty cycle [30ma average] and thats it

when the PIC is not in use i plan on putting it to sleep which is 1nA @ 2V

operating current will be while it transmits the signal which is for around 18ms plus some calculation time call it 22ms with operational current 100uA @ 1mhz [im running it at 4mhz, 1mhz instruction cycle so roughly 400uA?].

so when sending IR data its around 400uA PIC + 30mA IR LED + 3mA transistor Base = 33.4 mA
and when in standby 2nA call it.

so not much :)

well all the circuitry is, is a pic 12F675, an IR LED and driving transistor

the IR LED is driven at 100ma at 62.5% duty cycle [30ma average] and thats it

when the PIC is not in use i plan on putting it to sleep which is 1nA @ 2V

operating current will be while it transmits the signal which is for around 18ms plus some calculation time call it 22ms with operational current 100uA @ 1mhz [im running it at 4mhz, 1mhz instruction cycle so roughly 400uA?].

so when sending IR data its around 400uA PIC + 30mA IR LED + 3mA transistor Base = 33.4 mA
and when in standby 2nA call it.

so not much :)

Argh, you read my post before my edit. For those saying huh? I had asked about IR power needs, then realized my post was a dumb question, then retracted my statment. Sorry for the confusion.

Personally speaking, I'm not good with maths. Though from what you have said, I'd just try the unit with a 3v supply and see how long it lasted etc.

That said, I have seen many examples of 'keyring' remotes that use a microcontroller ( of one kind or another ) and are powered by the good old 2032 3v cell.

lol dont worry, its not as stupid question as my original :D

Edit:

Thanks HoW, ill keep that in mind as then it will be even smaller, although my experience is that; that style of battery is very expensive [e.g. cheaper to buy a new watch than replace the battery]

Last edited:
I saw some 3V lithium battery cells at the Dollar Store. Only a few were leaking.
Guess where they are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back