Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote Control by cellphone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this problem of maintaining the 9600 baud rate when receiving the bytes. Will this not have a bearing on the baud rate

emufambirwi said:
I have this problem of maintaining the 9600 baud rate when receiving the bytes. Will this not have a bearing on the baud rate

What do you mean you have a 'problem'?.

The tutorial routines are very old and very well tested.

You are right that the routines do work. What I am worried about is the time spent doing the comparison of the received byte and the byte in the table, because what happens is I receive a byte then compare it with another before receiving the next and that's where my worry is.

Maybe we could receive the whole message first then do the comparison?

emufambirwi said:
You are right that the routines do work. What I am worried about is the time spent doing the comparison of the received byte and the byte in the table, because what happens is I receive a byte then compare it with another before receiving the next and that's where my worry is.

Maybe we could receive the whole message first then do the comparison?

You could do it either way, but bear in mind you've got all the time of a stop bit to do the comparison anyway - and in PIC terms that's lot's and lot's of time!.

As a method of testing my rs232 communication, I connected my pic16f84 to the max232 and pc. In Hyperterminal, I saw ascii characters way different from the Hex files i was transmitting like ¶°ïüĂ●∑

Are you sure the polarity of the data was correct?, remember the MAX232 inverts it - and are you sure the baud rate was set correctly?. Both of these will give weird characters.

Yes, the baud rate was set correctly as follows in software.

TXBYTE MOVWF BYTE ;save table value to BYTE
MOVLW 0x08
MOVWF BITCNT ;do eight times
BCF TXPIN ;SEND START BIT
CALL Bit_Delay ;delay 104 instruction cycles
;assuming 4MHz clock, that's 1us per instruction cycle
;so delaying 104us
TXLOOP RRF BYTE,F ;move BYTE bit0 into carry
BTFSS STATUS, C ;a Low ?
BCF TXPIN ;yes, send it
BTFSC STATUS, C ;a High?
BSF TXPIN ;yes, send it
CALL Bit_Delay
DECFSZ BITCNT
GOTO TXLOOP ;loop for 7 more times
BSF TXPIN ;SEND STOP BIT
CALL Bit_Delay
RETURN

sorry about the above post, the 104us delay is generated as follows, I have simulated the program using mplab and the timing is correct.
Bit_Delay
MOVLW 0x21
MOVWF DELAYCNT

DELAYLOOP
DECFSZ DELAYCNT ;one cycle if DELAYCNT
GOTO DELAYLOOP ;two cycles
RETURN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back