Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0l4n1

Hi,

I'm trying to build a micro camera that will be able to show video-on-demand while connecting to it from the phone / PC.

It's possible to build it using Arduino (and others boards) but it looks like an overkill for this task.
All I need is just camera module (preferably with good optics and characteristics) + ISP (to build images from camera module) + power supply + wifi transmitter.
The smallest thing I've found so far is ESP-32 Cam module but it still looks like an overkill (with SD card, bluetooth, pinouts) and, that's why, it's too big.

Do you know of any alternative solutions to build my model?

Thank you for your help.

Define overkill.
Overkill in cost?
Overkill in complexity vs your skills?
Overkill in computing power for the task?
Overkill in power demand?
Overkill in physical size?

also, define your video stream. Resolution in pixels, color depth, frames per second, acceptable compression losses (losses pixel resolution and losses in color depth).

Thank you for your reply, gophert.
1. It looks like an overkill for me according to the functionalities that I don't need and as a result - bigger size. I've seen tiny cameras on Ali at about 20mm x 20mm. This is what I would love to achieve as well.

2. Regarding the video stream, I'm not a big expert in quality but 1080p / 30 frames or at least 720p / 30 frames should be enough.

I hope this helps somehow and thank you once more.

Even the ESP32 (which you described as "overkill") cannot manage the video quality you need so I am confused how you want to achieve your goal.

Maybe I'm missing something but in specs I see: UXGA/SXGA 30fps and this is higher than 720p/30fps I was talking about earlier.
But, when I said 'overkill' I meant that there are some modules that I don't need. And the camera was actually another point why I didn't want to use ESP32 Cam module (I wanted some better quality of image).

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something but in specs I see: UXGA/SXGA 30fps and this is higher than 720p/30fps I was talking about earlier.
But, when I said 'overkill' I meant that there are some modules that I don't need. And the camera was actually another point why I didn't want to use ESP32 Cam module (I wanted some better quality of image).

Your requirements are completely unreasonable - you want to built a high specifcation and miniscule camera system at home - something that requires a fairly high end manufacturing facility and a LOT of expertise.

Your requirements are completely unreasonable - you want to built a high specifcation and miniscule camera system at home - something that requires a fairly high end manufacturing facility and a LOT of expertise.
So, this is absolutely impossible? When I've seen ESP32 almost for free with even more features than needed I thought it would be possible to assemble only needed modules by myself (but with better camera and without BT/SD card/...). Am I wrong here?

So, this is absolutely impossible? When I've seen ESP32 almost for free with even more features than needed I thought it would be possible to assemble only needed modules by myself (but with better camera and without BT/SD card/...). Am I wrong here?

You could buy an ESP32 bare processor, and make your own board, but from what you've said you want better quality than the ESP32 cameras?.

And you're unlikely to get it down as small as commercially available designs.

I see. Thank you Nigel Goodwin! And if we are able to increase the size are there any good alternatives? I've seen Raspberry Pi zero (which is incredibly powerful) for 5$ and compatible camera 5MP. Maybe there's an alternative to pi zero (smaller)?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back