Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Remote 120VAC switch activated by double pulse of power from local switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccurtis

Hello. I want to know if a device is available whereby if I throw a 120 VAC wall switch on, then off, then on again (within a period, say, of about one second) the device will activate upon sensing that double pulse of power and then pass the power to a remote load, but not activate and not pass the power on with only a single throw of the wall switch from off to on.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, my floodlight does that as purchased. I know, no help. If you want to start somewhere, there is a washer shaped switching power supply that can be had that will fit in junction boxes. I know, I'm no help.

I don't see why it can't be done. There are a few obstacles to overcome but it's doable. You could program and use a simple micro-controler or use discrete components. Discounting the AC for a moment you could, for example use a D flip flop like the old 4013 configured as a divide-by-two circuit. Since you want two pulses to trigger things you could use a timer chip to hold the 4013 Reset or Clear pin low to allow a count for a given period of time. I guess you could also use an old chip like the 4017 Decade Counter Divider configured as a count to N and halt where N would be two and the clock enable input held low for a given period of time. Unless you get two pulses during the clock enable period the counter resets and never gets to a count of two. Those are a few very, very basic ideas, there are many ways to go about it. As to the AC load? Use a SCR rated for the load.

Without knowing exactly in detail what you want the best I can come up with is a few very generic suggestions. These suggestions would always need to be powered on and your switch scheme only would provide the pulses to be counted.

Ron

Well, my floodlight does that as purchased. I know, no help. If you want to start somewhere, there is a washer shaped switching power supply that can be had that will fit in junction boxes. I know, I'm no help.

If your floodlight does that by design it could be of help. The thing is, I have porch lighting for the porch and floodlights for the surrounding yard wired in parallel with a single indoor wall switch. I want the capability to switch the porch lighting on without necessarily turning the floodlights on. I don't want to install wires and run a separate wall switch for the floodlights. I want to install a device in-line with existing wiring between the porch lighting and the floodlights that only activates and passes power to the floodlights when I double pulse the single wall switch. I don't care if turning on the floodlights means having to turn on the porch lighting too, because that is usually needed with the floodlights on anyway.

I don't want to design and build the device either. But I might anyway, if I have to (thanks, reloadron for your ideas). If I have to do that, it might be easier to install wiring and a separate wall switch. I couldn't find such a device searching the internet, but maybe I just haven't done enough searching. But, heck, I would think I am not the only one to want such a thing. I see wireless remote switches, which is doable, but then I have yet one more remote control to misplace that uses yet more batteries.

Last edited:
found one **broken link removed** Doesn;t work exactly like mone does. Used "motion light with manual overide"

There is always Insteon and UPB. Both expensive, but doable options.

You need like 3 or 4 things to make it happen.

A switch module with the right number of switches and probably 1 or 2 fixture modules + the gizmo that allows your computer to tap into the network and maybe a USB to RS232 converter. Watch who has to have power.

The UPB module can just send a code to turn on the lights.

I think you could set things up so one switch send two commands and the other one.

I have a UPB system, but guess where it is. In a box. I got the stuff to be able to turn on a light from one car using an RF transmitter, my cell phone, the actual light switch and an RF transmitter. Although mine would be a combination of X-10, UPB and an automation server.

Hey, that's it! The "manual mode" looks exactly like what I want, if I read it right. It looks like it powers up in "auto" mode, the load activated only by motion sensing, and then if I toggle the power it goes to "manual mode" with the load always on. I'll just cover up the motion sensor, or maybe just not connect the sensor to the switch module, so the floodlights don't turn on in "auto" mode. I don't want the motion sensing. Thanks!

Drawback, I think, if the power fails and comes back on, your lights will stay on day and night with the sensor covered.

My first proper job involved building devices like this for security lighting :)

I vaguely remember it using comparators / opamps, triacs and some other glue and it all fitted onto the back of a standard UK light switch.

This was almost 30 years ago though ........

Drawback, I think, if the power fails and comes back on, your lights will stay on day and night with the sensor covered.

I would guess, if the sensor is covered, the unit "thinks" it's night all the time, but there is no motion, so it won't turn the lights on in auto mode. An email to Heath/Zenith should confirm or not. An alternative would be to point the sensor upward so it looks above the horizon, and can't see any motion.

I did a little further looking at a few other models of motion sensing floodlights, and the double toggle, manual mode feature appears to be fairly common to them.

I appreciate the design/build your own replies, but I think these motion sensing floodlights with manual mode are the way to go for me.

I did a little further looking at a few other models of motion sensing floodlights, and the double toggle, manual mode feature appears to be fairly common to them.
My floodlight (unknown brand) had this system. Sounds like it meets your needs. The manual mode over-rides the motion sensor and day/night sensor. Be advised, though; the slightest mains glitch or brownout gets interpreted as a double-pulse and causes the light to lock on indefinitely (and run up your utility bill), requiring the mains switch to be operated manually to switch the light off. I got fed up having to do this, so the light has now been removed :).

My floodlight (unknown brand) had this system. Sounds like it meets your needs. The manual mode over-rides the motion sensor and day/night sensor. Be advised, though; the slightest mains glitch or brownout gets interpreted as a double-pulse and causes the light to lock on indefinitely (and run up your utility bill), requiring the mains switch to be operated manually to switch the light off. I got fed up having to do this, so the light has now been removed :).

Thanks for bring that experience to my attention. I don't think that will be a significant problem for me. The mains switch in my case is a wall switch which is off most of the time anyway, except when I actually want the lights to be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back