Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickLee

I have built a 555 timer that uses 2 9v batteries and i need it to power a relay... so i need to know where i can get a relay that will close when 2 9v batteries hit it, but i also need it to allow the current from a car bettery to go through it without messing it up.. if any onw can help me out with a radio shack part number or somewhere else i can get it or how to build it please let me know...
Thanx,
Nick

Use a low drop out 12V-regulator. It stabilizes the 18V to 12V and also the car battery voltage if it exceeds 12V (normally starting 500mV above 12V).

At the output connect a 12V relay.

The described method is cheap and the circuit will work properly at both input voltages.

If the 2X9V batteries are connected in parallel use a 6V regulator and a 6V-relay. In that case you don't need a low drop out regulator.

Boncuk

Last edited:
I have built a 555 timer that uses 2 9v batteries and i need it to power a relay... so i need to know where i can get a relay that will close when 2 9v batteries hit it, but i also need it to allow the current from a car bettery to go through it without messing it up.. if any onw can help me out with a radio shack part number or somewhere else i can get it or how to build it please let me know...
Thanx,
Nick
Get a relay with a 12v coil and as high impedance as you can. It can stand 18v occasionally.
It doesn't know what battery is feeding it, only what current goes through it.
Relays have a current gain from 25 to 200, so if your relay coil draws ~10 mA you will probably only be able to switch ~500 mA.

Don't work on house wiring, yet.

Did you re-invent the ubiquitous 555 timer? You meant to say " ... 555 timer circuit". It sounds like you need a multi-throw relay, one that switches between 2x9V and 12V feeds. You might consider my circuit as an inspiration, if it answers your inquiry:

Attachments

• UTTI.gif
    UTTI.gif
    71.2 KB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back