Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RELAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may or may not work, depending of the specific model of the relay.

If there is no datasheet for the relay in question that say about minimum required voltage for the relay to close, then you have to test each relay manually.

Most 6 V relays will work on 5 V. However you may not get exactly 5 V on a 5 V power supply, so it may be a matter of testing it.

All the relays that I have seen need a lot more voltage to turn on than to keep them on. A 6 V relay might turn on at 4.5 V but then the voltage would have to be reduced to maybe 1 - 1.5 V before it turns off.

It probably will work but it's not something to do if you are producing more than one circuit (for production).
For that you could add a bootstrap circuit to momentarily apply 10V to the relay to pull it in (but that requires a capacitor, two diodes, and two transistors, example circuit below).

1605368521480.png

It may or may not work, depending of the specific model of the relay.

If there is no datasheet for the relay in question that say about minimum required voltage for the relay to close, then you have to test each relay manually.
Yes it worked i tested now and Heard clicking sound.

Most 6 V relays will work on 5 V. However you may not get exactly 5 V on a 5 V power supply, so it may be a matter of testing it.

All the relays that I have seen need a lot more voltage to turn on than to keep them on. A 6 V relay might turn on at 4.5 V but then the voltage would have to be reduced to maybe 1 - 1.5 V before it turns off.
Yes it worked i tested now and Heard clicking sound.

It may pull-in okay at normal room temperature, but could fail to at low temperatures, if that's of concern.

It may pull-in okay at normal room temperature, but could fail to at low temperatures, if that's of concern.
I would expect that to be more of a problem at high temperature, when the relay coil resistance rises.

Remember that magnetic strengths is as function of current, not voltage. The voltage is just whatever is required to push the needed current through the resistance.

I would expect that to be more of a problem at high temperature, when the relay coil resistance rises.
You are correct, of course.
I was thinking backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back