Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbroadway

hi i am really confused i have a relay for a unit that i am using that i have questions for

to start i am using timeguards meu11 as a lighting timer i was told it is possible to do so here is the link https://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-...461/?sid=af860032-4104-4fe1-a101-b8c2969d0452

they told me all i need is a 15k relay diode and relay for it to work so i bought the things needed and im using figure 6 on the meu11 data sheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/10/23-5461.pdf

the relay i have is the one they specified 48v 16a spdt relay https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/10/23-5461.pdf

the question is i have no idea how to wire the relay or what pin to put it in any help about pin out of relay and how i should be wiring it up to switch 230v lighting

many thanks

jak

hi,
That last link, I cannot see the relay details, whats the Rapid Part No.???

**broken link removed** heres the relay rapid number is 60-1045

Hi,
There is a small difference, which of these two types from the data sheet... see how many pins there are on the relay.

Attachments

• AAesp08.gif
    AAesp08.gif
    11 KB · Views: 170
hi,
Look at this image for the connections.

If in doubt, please ask..

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 169
thats perfect thank you i have the CO one the one with 8 pins and will this switch 230v? and if so is there a way of putting a switch in?

thats perfect thank you i have the CO one the one with 8 pins and will this switch 230v? and if so is there a way of putting a switch in?

hi,
The relay is rated for 230Vac mains voltages, so it will be ok for a lamp.

Do you want to switch the Lamp on/off independently of what the relay is doing.??

so that if the timer stopped working i could still turn them on i think that would be best

hi,
The simple version is image3, shows a single pole light switch, you can turn ON the light as required.

Image2 shows a light changeover switch, the type thats used on stair landing lights, this allows you full control over the light ie: On and Off.

Please care with mains supplies, make sure the relay, diode and resistor are fully enclosed in an insulated box...

Attachments

• Image2.png
    Image2.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Image3.png
    Image3.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 189
will this push switch work if so how do i provide the 2.2v dc for the led to work when im using mains with it

**broken link removed**

and thanks for the help

will this push switch work if so how do i provide the 2.2v dc for the led to work when im using mains with it

**broken link removed**

and thanks for the help

hi,
Providing the lamp is <= 250Watt rating, it should be OK.

Extract from P/B spec
Specifications:
Rating1.5A 250Vac
LED 2.2Vdc 25mA
Bezel size18 x 18mm
Button diameter12.8mm
Panel cut-out15mm diameter
Length behind bezel18mm (excluding solder terminals)
Solder terminals Silver plated Brass

Last edited:
It says the led needs 2.2v but I am putting 230v to the switch I can't just link it up can I?

No.
The 2.2Vdc supply for the LED should isolated from the 230Vac and have a series resistor to limit the LED current to ~20mA.

ye thats what i thought so how would i do that unless i use a battery but that will keep the led for ever its confusing because the switch is 230v but you need a 2.2v supply to feed the led?

ye thats what i thought so how would i do that unless i use a battery but that will keep the led for ever its confusing because the switch is 230v but you need a 2.2v supply to feed the led?

Hi,
Its not essential to have the LED powered, how far away from the switch will the lamp be.???
If the lamp is visible from the switch location then it will be obvious when the push switch is in the ON position.???

very true i just thought it would look better with the led on but if its gonna be that much trouble i will just leave it thanks

ok i wired it as per your drawing and nothing comes on no lights nothing the unit doesnt even start up what am i doing wrong?

ok i wired it as per your drawing and nothing comes on no lights nothing the unit doesnt even start up what am i doing wrong?

hi,
Are you saying that even the manual push button switch does not turn the light ON.???

Can you post a picture of how its connected together.??

the manual button works but the timer doesnt even turn on

Is the diode the correct way around and connected via a 15K resistor as shown in fig #6, of that datasheet.?

Also have you connected the mains supply to the timer as shown fig #6.?

Attachments

• AAesp05.gif
    AAesp05.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back