Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relay / zero crossing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

baba_sanfur

Hi,
I would like to switch on/off relay for 16A(rms), voltage of 230v. the switching must take action as close as possible to the zero-crossing point. I cannot use SCR relays, because of the price / heat.

So I build a simple relay driver – using transistor. The problem is that all simple relays (the cheap relays..) have tolerance of 10-20 ms operation time.
I built a zero – crossing detector and it works great – but since the tolerance of the relay is >10ms, ant the line frequency is 50hz (20ms), all the design is useless.

I have two questions:
1. How can I reduce the time to operate the relay, or at least stable it to constant value?
2. Is it possible to put protection element (like move) in parallel to the output pins of the relay, to protect the appliance from spikes (if the zero cross detection doesn’t work properly)

Thanks,
Nir

Hi,
I would like to switch on/off relay for 16A(rms), voltage of 230v. the switching must take action as close as possible to the zero-crossing point. I cannot use SCR relays, because of the price / heat.

So I build a simple relay driver – using transistor. The problem is that all simple relays (the cheap relays..) have tolerance of 10-20 ms operation time.
I built a zero – crossing detector and it works great – but since the tolerance of the relay is >10ms, ant the line frequency is 50hz (20ms), all the design is useless.

I have two questions:
1. How can I reduce the time to operate the relay, or at least stable it to constant value?
2. Is it possible to put protection element (like move) in parallel to the output pins of the relay, to protect the appliance from spikes (if the zero cross detection doesn’t work properly)

Thanks,
Nir

This is a double post.:)

Find a Zero Crossing Triac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back