Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Wiring for motor reverse. PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kzuk

Hello everybody, I am very new to this and am looking for some much needed help. I work on cars and am relatively familiar with DC relays. I am in a very tight time crunch and really need some help. I am a graduating senior in Mechanical Engineering and am building a motorized system to automatically place a golf ball on a tee. The motor I am using is a paper shredder motor that I re-geared for two shafts. The switch is just like any other shredder motor, an "Auto" switch that is triggered through a pressure switch, and a "Reverse" which when switched on is always running.

I need to activate that "auto" by a push button, (I think I have that figured out). Then within the arm I was planning on using a tilt switch to regulate how far the arm (that is like the track for the golf ball to follow to the tee) will go down just above the tee. Then (here is where I am stuck) I was figuring I need a DPDT relay to sense when that tilt switch hit, and activate the reverse of the motor, and then have a "stop" feature to power the motor down.

I thought this wiring portion was going to be easy for me, and I may just be missing something obvious, BUT this initially was not due until May 30th, but They e-mailed us last wednesday and moved the due date to this friday. and This wiring is the main thing holding me up.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

So if I read your question correctly, you want the tilt switch to reverse the motor, correct?

If so, easy: just wire the tilt switch to a DPDT relay coil, and wire the motor to the power through the relay contacts in a "crossover" arrangement.

Unless I'm missing something here ... also not sure how you're going to incorporate a stop (= limit switch).

So wire the tilt switch to one side of the relay, and the reverse wire(+) to the other side?

Also, could I use the limit switch after the relay and in-line with the power to cut it off? Or wire in a second relay?

You want something like this:

**broken link removed**

You can just put the limit switch in series with the motor, so it stops it when the limit is hit. (But of course the limit switch has to close before you can restart the motor.)

Last edited:
It's a LOT more than you're thinking, each relay has to "latch" its' state until the next event occurs.
One way:
> push button switch SPST-NO starts cycle, motor power relay (a) self latches
> far limit switch energizes motor direction relay to reverse, direction relay (a) self latches
> end of cycle limit switch SPST-NC drops power to BOTH relays
> motor power relay (b) is for motor power
> direction relay (b) & (c) is for swapping polarity / direction
You push/hold the cycle start button until the mechanism releases the end of cycle switch.
Position the limit switches so motor spindown won't jam the mechanism at either end.

I left motor power wiring out: it's what others' posted & for clarity

I'm breaking my rule about helping a student, but you're studying ME not EE, so I'll let it slide... although ladder diagrams & relay logic need to be in your toolbox. <<<)))

Attachments

• Relay_1Cycle.jpg
    Relay_1Cycle.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back