Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay switching time measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufty88

Hello to everyone! I'm new here, from Scotland but working in the Netherlands at the moment.

I'm currently developing a hardware module that uses relays in a driver circuit. The module interfaces external sensor circuitry with a lab PC, and enables the external circuitry to be programmed using software. One variable in the software is 'relay switch time'. Currently, the user enters an estimated safe switching time (based on the relay datasheet).

I was wondering if their is any sort of circuitry that allows for the measurement of this switch time, so that an accurate 'relay switch time' value could be given to the software automatically.

If you are looking for a software driven solution I know NI (National Instruments) has a few articles about it using their labview. Additionally other daq software with modules could be used. I would venture using a timer function and measure the time from when a relay coil is energized to when the contacts pull in discounting switch bounce, the same could be done for drop out measuring the time interval from when the coil is de energized to when the contacts open.

Much of this depends on if you want a software driven solution using daq or you could just use a scope or good counter/timer. Also depends on the tools you have available to you.

Maybe some other will have a few thoughts.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking more of a hardware solution, because my project is dealing soley with a hardware module (unless I can identify areas in their own software to improve). They use their own software already, and to implement labview they would have to change a lot about the way they work, which I don't think they'll want to do. They just want me to improve a module that allows an interface between a sensor, and a computer were the sensor can be programmed with software.

So really I'm looking for an addition I can make to the hardware that shows some electronic design skill. However, I wasn't sure if it was even possible to implement hardware than can automatically detect time, I was just thinking that it would be a cool to have a mechanism that can do it automatically (as right now they need to specify this switch time data manually anyway).

Could you please tell me more about your counter suggestion, in order to measure time? I'm not sure how I'd create 'relay switch time' data from a counter.

Thanks a lot man
Jonathan

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I looked into labview and it looks like a very powerful tool, but my company wants to stick with it's own software, they just want me to imrpove a module design. I was wondering if you could tell me more about how implement a counter circuit to measure a relay switch time?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Somehow I missed your reply and just today got an email notification. Are you still working this project?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I am still working a project that could use this as an additional feature. It wouldn't be the main aspect of my project although any extra design will look good. If you have other ideas then please do share! Highly appreciated,

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back