Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Problem: After on and off few times, the relay stuck/jam in the on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben8118

Dear all,

I'm doing home automation project which is turn on or off the house light.

I'm using relay to turn on and turn off the Fluorescent light which is 240VAC.
I'm facing a problem which after a few time turn on and off the light (in fast) the relay will jam (jam on the 'on/nc' stage, unable to turn off the relay). Every time I turn on or off the light, will hear spark sound.

I have parallel 1K resistor and 0.22uf capacitor with the relay. The problem still occur.
I change the relay amps from 5A to 16A. The problem still remain.

May I know what is the problem? and how to solve the problem?

Thanks.

Dear all,

I'm doing home automation project which is turn on or off the house light.

I'm using relay to turn on and turn off the Fluorescent light which is 240VAC.
I'm facing a problem which after a few time turn on and off the light (in fast) the relay will jam (jam on the 'on/nc' stage, unable to turn off the relay). Every time I turn on or off the light, will hear spark sound.

I have parallel 1K resistor and 0.22uf capacitor with the relay. The problem still occur.
I change the relay amps from 5A to 16A. The problem still remain.

May I know what is the problem? and how to solve the problem?

Thanks.

hi,
Most fluorescent lamps use inductors, so you could have high closing/opening currents at the relay contacts which in effect weld the relay contacts in the ON state.

Either use a Transzorb or Snubber across the contact pair.

Last edited:
Posting a circuit would help. Is the relay a DC coil relay and if yes do you have a flyback diode (snubber diode) like a 1N4000 series across the relay coil? What exactly is driving the relay? Next are the relay contacts physically arcing closed? Exactly where did you place the 1K and .22 uF cap? Across the contacts?

<EDIT> I see Eric is about.... :) </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
Many florescent lights have a power factor correction capacitor. Others are run at high frequency and the mains is rectified and used to charge a big capacitor.

Either way, there is a huge turn-on surge.

Fit a surge-guard thermistor in series to limit the current.

I have had the same problem with a PIR turning on a florescent lamp. The surge-guard thermistor fixed the problem and has been running for years.

It sounds like a current peak problem. Note that fluorescent lamps have a long life, but they should work (as much as possible) in stable conditions. Otherwise you may use a led bulb, for example.

Last edited:
The in rush current is welding the relay contacts closed.
You could try a motor contactor or a relay with silver contacts.

Thanks for the suggestion, will try and see.

Would like to ask how to measure or determine the in rush current?

Thanks.

Big light bulb went off: That type of relay is supposed to work that way.

That relay is what's known as a "latching relay". It requires a momentary pulse and the relay turns on. It will STAY ON after power is removed.

To turn this relay OFF, you pulse the coil with the opposite polarity voltage. Again, it maintains the state when power is removed.

Thanks for the part number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back