Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay hookup with a Firgelli actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

Hey all i am in need of some help with hooking up this acuator i got from Firgelli to my USB controlled 4 relay board.

The background on the relay board is this:
RAS-05-15: 5V / 72mA, 15A/24VDC (120VAC), 10A/250VAC
https://denkovi.com/Documents/23-3.pdf
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
And this is how the Acuator hook up to a relay + switch:
**broken link removed**

I cant seem to get the pinout correct when looking at their example there.

Is it:
RELAY UP:
Purple wire > C
Grey wire > NC
Blue wire > NO

RELAY DOWN:
Black wire > C
Grey wire > NC
Blue wire > NO

Does that seem correct?

David

hi,
The colour coding you have posted looks correct to me.
RELAY UP:
Purple wire > C
Grey wire > NC
Blue wire > NO

RELAY DOWN:
Black wire > C
Grey wire > NC
Blue wire > NO

Last edited:
And i also just noticed that the wire colors are on both sides so here is a more detailed descrption:

RELAY UP:
Purple wire > C (1)
Grey wire > NC (5)
Blue wire > NO (4)

RELAY DOWN:
Black wire > C (1)
Grey wire > NC (5)
Blue wire > NO (4)

David

The cord on the bottom of the actuator in the picture shows the external power. "Cable to track power adapter"

Here is a picture of the product:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

David

Last edited:
And i also just noticed that the wire colors are on both sides so here is a more detailed descrption:

David

hi David,
The wiring is the same,OK.
The 5V relays are powered from the +5V USB
The relay contacts are switching the 12Volts.

EDIT:
You were asking about the coloured wiring to the relay contacts.
Are you asking another question in your post #5.???

Last edited:
hi David,
The wiring is the same,OK.
The 5V relays are powered from the +5V USB
The relay contacts are switching the 12Volts.

EDIT:
You were asking about the coloured wiring to the relay contacts.
Are you asking another question in your post #5.???

I was giving more detailed about the picture.

I DON'T RECOMMEND wiring a relay for up and a relay for down.

I DO reccomend using a relay for direction and a relay for enable.

Limit switches may require a relay each to integrate if the limit switch can't carry the actuator load.

You do want the ability to be able to move the actuator in the opposite direction when it's at a limit.

The beauty of this method is two relays on, don't do any damage.

Relay dynamic braking is easy too. Just use an SPDT relay for the enable.

Monitoring DC presence; Full wave rectified can tell you if your at a limit.
Uisng one for fwd and one for rev might help even more.

I DON'T RECOMMEND wiring a relay for up and a relay for down.

I DO reccomend using a relay for direction and a relay for enable.

Limit switches may require a relay each to integrate if the limit switch can't carry the actuator load.

You do want the ability to be able to move the actuator in the opposite direction when it's at a limit.

The beauty of this method is two relays on, don't do any damage.

Relay dynamic braking is easy too. Just use an SPDT relay for the enable.

Monitoring DC presence; Full wave rectified can tell you if your at a limit.
Uisng one for fwd and one for rev might help even more.

It already has a built in limit switch for up and down so no worries. 2 Relays will do the job just fine :)

David

That wont happen since I am coding the program that will control them :eek:)
hi,
From what you have posted, I understood this is a proven off the shelf product, is that correct.?

hi,
From what you have posted, I understood this is a proven off the shelf product, is that correct.?

Yes, it is a solid product. And so it is clear, the manufacture has software to run this relay board but i needed something more tailored to my project. So i am writing some small code to turn them on and off.

David

What happens when both relays are on?

Each relay is switching the polarity going to the motor wire, one relay on each motor wire. So with no relays triggered both motor wires would be at ground = no voltage across motor = no movement. If one relay is triggered, that motor wire goes to the +voltage coming from the track power adaptor. This causes the motor to move in one direction. Vice versa for the other relay being triggered, the motor will move in the opposite direction.

If both relays are triggered, both motor wires will be at the same +voltage, meaning no voltage difference across the motor which means no current will flow.. no movement.

By using two relays you get dynamic braking, once you release both relays the motor wires will be held to ground and the motor will resist turning (back EMF).

If you use the other method-- one DPDT relay (for direction) and one SPST (for enable), then when you 'disable' using the SPST the motor wire(s) will float and the motor will drift to a stop, not stop rapidly as with dynamic braking.

If I've missed something, or it doesn't look right.. let me know.

Each relay is switching the polarity going to the motor wire, one relay on each motor wire. So with no relays triggered both motor wires would be at ground = no voltage across motor = no movement. If one relay is triggered, that motor wire goes to the +voltage coming from the track power adaptor. This causes the motor to move in one direction. Vice versa for the other relay being triggered, the motor will move in the opposite direction.

If both relays are triggered, both motor wires will be at the same +voltage, meaning no voltage difference across the motor which means no current will flow.. no movement.

By using two relays you get dynamic braking, once you release both relays the motor wires will be held to ground and the motor will resist turning (back EMF).

If you use the other method-- one DPDT relay (for direction) and one SPST (for enable), then when you 'disable' using the SPST the motor wire(s) will float and the motor will drift to a stop, not stop rapidly as with dynamic braking.

If I've missed something, or it doesn't look right.. let me know.

Let me correct myself, you can do dynamic braking by using a SPDT relay as KeepItSimpleStupid said.. missed that. Personally I find it's easier to use SPDT relays and boards (tend to be less expensive and more readily available than DPDT). Good to have multiple options though, for sure..

Two SPDT relays is not a bad way at all. Now I remember what I did with a system using a few motors. I used an H-Bridge and an SPDT relay for dynamic braking and a relay only for a high current motor going in one direction. The H-bridge IC's weren't hi-power back then and H-bridges with coast and brake I either didn't know about or were not available. One of the motors had a potentiometer limit. I did it slightly wrong because there was a movable contact in the system. Worked OK, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back