Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Howdy folks!
I have a simple question about connections for a relay. I've looked at a couple of tutorials, but none of them show sample connections etc.

Connections that I have for the relay are labeled:
1. NO
2. C
3. NC

I'm running a 12VDC in to the relay and I want to switch 12VDC out of the relay. How would I connect my outputs to the labels which are listed above?

Also, just for giggles; how would I connect, so that I could use a 12VDC input to switch a 120VAC line.

Just so you know, here are the markings on the relay

GOODSKY
RWH-SH-112D
12A/250VAC ~ | 10A/277VAC~
15A/120VAC ~ | 12A/250VAC~
15A/24VDC | 15A/24VDC
coil 12VDC 50/60Hz CU

Finally, I have a question about the power supply. I'm running from an automotive system, so I want to regulate the circuit power supply (regulate to 12VDC). I'm okay with that, the question that I have is, since the relay is only rated at 24VDC, should I regulate the line that I want to switch with the relay? (Some say voltage spikes up to 60 volts depending on the regulation of the alternator).

Finally, I swear :D . Since the coil in the relay is rated max 12VDC, should I regulate down to 11 volts for the circuit power supply in order to give myself a safety margin? (The circuit will run off of 9VDC minimum.)

Thanks for your help!

Johnson777717 said:
Connections that I have for the relay are labeled:
1. NO
2. C
3. NC
C = common
NO = normally open, wich means it isn't connected to common if the relay is not powered, when the relay gets power it will connect to common
NC = normally closed, the opposite of NO

Johnson777717 said:
Also, just for giggles; how would I connect, so that I could use a 12VDC input to switch a 120VAC line.
Just connect the 12V signal to the relay's coil and connect 1 of your VAC lines to NO, it will be connected to C when the coil is powered

Johnson777717 said:
Finally, I have a question about the power supply. I'm running from an automotive system, so I want to regulate the circuit power supply (regulate to 12VDC). I'm okay with that, the question that I have is, since the relay is only rated at 24VDC, should I regulate the line that I want to switch with the relay? (Some say voltage spikes up to 60 volts depending on the regulation of the alternator).
a relay is just a coil, it can handle a spike, it even generates spikes if you turn it off...
cars are stuffed with relays, a 12VDC relay should work just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back