Relay Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnson777717

Howdy folks!
I have a simple question about connections for a relay. I've looked at a couple of tutorials, but none of them show sample connections etc.

Connections that I have for the relay are labeled:
1. NO
2. C
3. NC

I'm running a 12VDC in to the relay and I want to switch 12VDC out of the relay. How would I connect my outputs to the labels which are listed above?

Also, just for giggles; how would I connect, so that I could use a 12VDC input to switch a 120VAC line.

Just so you know, here are the markings on the relay

GOODSKY
RWH-SH-112D
12A/250VAC ~ | 10A/277VAC~
15A/120VAC ~ | 12A/250VAC~
15A/24VDC | 15A/24VDC
coil 12VDC 50/60Hz CU

Finally, I have a question about the power supply. I'm running from an automotive system, so I want to regulate the circuit power supply (regulate to 12VDC). I'm okay with that, the question that I have is, since the relay is only rated at 24VDC, should I regulate the line that I want to switch with the relay? (Some say voltage spikes up to 60 volts depending on the regulation of the alternator).

Finally, I swear . Since the coil in the relay is rated max 12VDC, should I regulate down to 11 volts for the circuit power supply in order to give myself a safety margin? (The circuit will run off of 9VDC minimum.)

Thanks for your help!

Johnson777717 said:
Connections that I have for the relay are labeled:
1. NO
2. C
3. NC
C = common
NO = normally open, wich means it isn't connected to common if the relay is not powered, when the relay gets power it will connect to common
NC = normally closed, the opposite of NO

Johnson777717 said:
Also, just for giggles; how would I connect, so that I could use a 12VDC input to switch a 120VAC line.
Just connect the 12V signal to the relay's coil and connect 1 of your VAC lines to NO, it will be connected to C when the coil is powered

a relay is just a coil, it can handle a spike, it even generates spikes if you turn it off...
cars are stuffed with relays, a 12VDC relay should work just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…