Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay causing noise - need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsasala

Hello everyone. I have a small 5V relay connected to a PIC via a ULN2803 driver. I have the diode on the 2803 tied to VCC to serve as a flyback diode, and it appears to be working properly. I'm switching 16VAC with the relay's contacts, which are connected to a small motor. The motor pulls about 60mA. The relay's contacts are not tied to the board's VCC or GND in any way - only to the motor and the AC source.

When the relay switches I get a significant amount of noise on VCC and throughout the circuit board. So much noise at times that the PIC actually resets. I'm really at a lost where all the noise is coming from - I would not expect so much induced noise on VCC just by turning a small motor on and off. If I remove the load, the problem goes away.

In the interest of full disclosure, the contact traces on the PCB do not cross VCC in anyway. I do have a ground plane on the bottom side of the board and the trace for the AC source lines is on the back side.

Any suggestions? Do I need a snubber on the relay contacts to kill the noise? If so, any suggestions on R/C values? Any help or constructive suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Tom

Put a capacitor on the relay a 104 should do it. And make sure you have 1 on the pic from vdd to ground I have had to add a 10uf to my pic because of the motor

Last edited:
Put the RC snubber across the motor, right at the motor. Make R the same value as, or slightly smaller than, the resistance of the motor windings. Try a 1uF non-polarized cap for C. A scope would help you select the right value for C.

The cap of value about 100 uF at the MCLR pin is very importnat. Micro chip themselves reccomends this which I have wondered Y. May be this is Y. Good LUCk.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Using parts on hand (94Ω/.1µF) I put in a snubber circuit and it did limit some of the noise, but it is not perfect yet. Once I get more accurate parts, I'll see if it gets better. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back