Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

relay advice required

Status
Not open for further replies.

oOo Les oOo

Hi,

I looking for some help, I have a device that when conditions are met it turns on a small motor to provide vibration feedback. The current feedback is very weak and I would like to add a much larger motor with speed controller to give adjustable feedback.
Would it be safe to add a relay replacing the motor that would turn on the replacement motor. I have measured the voltage across the motor when activated at 3.8 volts dc.

As-is

PCB - Motor

New

PCB - Relay - 12v psu - Speed controller - Motor

If this looks ok can someone recommend a relay

Thanks

Depends on a few things and for starters how much current the new motor will draw.

Ron

So the load can be from 1.4 to 2.85 Amps. For what you want to do, and in keeping it small, I would think about looking towards a small automotive relay that can be easily had in any automotive parts store at a reasonable price.

Ron

Thanks, I was worried about potential damage to the other electronics on the PCB due to replacing the motor with a relay

Just make sure you place a diode in parallel with the relay coil and observe polarity with the diode. Cathode of diode to + side and anode to the - side. You don't want an inductive kick from the coil when it is de energized hitting your components.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back