Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I have a chip that has a maximum voltage rating of 16V and I want to give it 2 PP3 batteries supplying 18V.

What is the best way of keeping the voltage at 16V?

I know I can use a pot but then when the the voltage from the batteries actually drops to 16V with the pot I'll only be getting say 14V.

Thanks.

It'll be 1.2A load current. Perhaps a bit more. I'll have a look at the LM2941, it'll highlight the principle. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think so. PP3 batteries have too much internal resistance to sustain 1.2 amps at full voltage. However, four rectifier diodes will reduce the voltage to a nice, safe place, even if you are using a reasonable current flow.

How would I use the 4 rectifier diodes? I can sink 1A for 5 minutes from a PP3 and 0.6A for 10 minutes and I only need them for 5 minutes. Thanks.

Won't your PP3s burn up, trying to provide 1.2A? That's a lot of juice from PP3 9Vs, which are pretty weak to start with.

How long do you expect to run this thing from the batteries?

Torben

I know both Linear Technology and maxim make higher voltage rated (like 25V) low dropout linear regulators that can do 3A. The part numbers LT1085 and LT1086 pop into my head but my brain is old, so you should go to their sites and use their selector tools and see what they currently offer.

The part numbers were right. The LT1086 seems pretty good, I can't say I really understand the datasheet or exactly how it is going to work, but I know it will work so I am going to buy one and test it. Regards.

Attachments

• LT1086.pdf
    216.1 KB · Views: 210
I have read the datasheet and the typical application below looks like it would give me the option of using different batteries. For example 4 AAA batteries rather than 2 PP3's. Perhaps I could get it down to 2 AAA's, I'm not sure.

reg-jpg.44052

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,122
A few minutes a couple of volts over maximum probably wouldn't do any harm, but I'm going to get the LT1086 because it will protect my chip and give me power supply options.

I'll be using the regulator with a chip that has a current limiting pin so I should be able to get a very adjustable and reproduceable power output from a range of different batteries.

Thanks for the input.

It's a bit late, but just to clarify, putting 3 amp diodes in series with the batteries would drop the delivered voltage by .65-.85 volts each. It looks like 3 will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back