Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regulator with high efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.

caga

Hi to all,
I am searching for a high efficiency regulator device, anybody advice any part number? ( or a small schematic increasing the standart 78xx or lm317 series regs)

- 0.5 - 1.5A load
- 10-24vDC input
- 6-8vDC output
- high efficiency ( battery operated)
- common, easily findable
- small package

All linear regs (such as 78xx/lm317) are basically the same for overall efficiency, because they categorically just burn up the extra voltage.

There are ones with lower quiescent current. If a device spends most of its time drawing no power then this becomes significant. LP2954 is great for that. However in my searches I've noticed low quiescent current and high current output do not seem to happen in the same device.

If you're really looking at 24v in, 8v out, at 1.5 amps you probably want a switching reg. These will deliver power very efficiently and without thermal dissipation issues. They're not as simple however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back