Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

regulated/unregulated power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoadev

I have a simple LED lighting circuit that I want to power, the power pack (wall wart) should have the specifications of:

UK style
12v DC
200-300Ma
2.1 or 2.5mm connector

But I dont know if I need unregulated or regulated, I dont think I need a too specific power source, so should I go with unregulated if it's going to be cheaper?

Also, does anyone know of a good supplier in the UK?

Thanks

"the simple led lighting circuit" is a bit vague. I gues this excludes large TV display (like for stadium) but that's all I can guyess. What is the power requirement (voltage, current) and what is the circuit?

if it is astable with pair of bipolar transistors or something using 4000B CMOS gates, it will probably run like a charm. if you have some sort of microcontroller or TTL chips don't even think about it until you get regulated power. regulated is hands down better than unregulated.
in some cases circuits are robust enough so additional voltage regulation is considered overkill because you can save some money and make circuits simpler.

cocoadev said:
I have a simple LED lighting circuit that I want to power, the power pack (wall wart) should have the specifications of:

UK style
12v DC
200-300Ma
2.1 or 2.5mm connector

But I dont know if I need unregulated or regulated, I dont think I need a too specific power source, so should I go with unregulated if it's going to be cheaper?

I wouldn't advise using unregulated wallwart type supplies for anything!, they are particularly horrible - outputing far above their rated voltage for low loads, and having huge amounts of ripple on the output.

If you know 100% that your circuit doesn't mind high voltage and high ripple, fair enough - but you really need to be sure about it. Regulated supplies aren't much more expensive, and most now use switchmode technology making them nice and light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back