Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reducing voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDW89

im trying to reduce 5v to anywhere in between 3.3v to 4.2v preferably about 4v. how do i do this with resistors? any help will be appreciated, thanks

Need more info: What is the nature of the load? What sort of voltage tolerance does it require? How much current does the load draw @ 4V?

It is for an electrinic cigarette, the battery works at 3.3v - 4.2v. Im trying to work it without the battery, through a usb. I cant get my probes in to measure the current from the battery when its used but when its on 5v it draws 0.85A, which is weird because i thought you could only get 0.5A from a usb, is this info any good?

5V probably won't do any harm, just add a diode (1N4001) if you're worried.

I think it will reduce the life of the atomizer if the voltage is too high. What will a diode do?

Reduce the voltage by about 0.9V

Look at the graph on the top right hind side of page 2 of the datasheet.
**broken link removed**

A single Silicon rectifier will have a forward voltage drop of about 0.8V at 0.8A. A 1N5817 Schottky rectifier will have a forward drop of about 0.4V. Add one of each in series and you will drop the 5V to about 3.8V

The maximum voltage rating is 4.2V so add the silicon diode, mission completed.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back