Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reducing image noise on CCDs during high ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt60

First of all, you should know that Im a professional digital camera repair technician. So Im extremely familiar with all of the components of a digital camera. However, I am not trying to modify a camera, but rather build one, probably using parts from a donor camera.

Anyway, as ISO increases, so does the noise in the image. I was wondering if there was anyway to reduce this noise. A few thoughts that cross my mind are active cooling of the CCD, and shielding it from unnecessary EMI and RF radiation. Perhaps the hardware and software supporting the CCD can also have an impact, but that I am not very familiar with.

Also, Im aware that using a CCD designed for color imaging is not the best choice.

So, please do share your thoughts. Thanks.

-Chris P

I am not really familiar with the software used for imaging, just the hardware. So I am wondering what I can physically do to reduce noise in the image. Due to cost and simplicity, I was thinking about just using the CCD and MCU out of a point and shoot digital camera. Also, resolution is important, so even though security cameras or webcams may be better suited to low light/high ISO conditions, their resolution may be too low.

An SLR would probably be best, but not needed as a first attempt.

The noise is a fundamental property of the CCD device and can not readily be improved, or the manufacturers of the device would already have done that. It's not due to any external noise sources. But cooling the device can help, so that is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back