Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reduce voltage with a diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomsCircuit

Got a 5v fan (40mm) with the following specs.
I used these specs to calculate the required potentiometer needed to control the speed

Vf = minimum fan voltage (2.5)
Vs = (power supply), (5)
Rf = fan resistance in ohms (35.7)
Rr = potentiometer resistance in ohms
Vf1 = fan voltage, (5)
Va = fan amps, (0.14)
Calculate Pot size:
Rf = Vf1/Va (36)
Rr = ((Vs*Rf)/Vf) – Rf ((5*36)/2.5) - 36 = 36ohms IVE GOT A 50R

Ok thats done now the issue I have is the pot rating is .5 watts and the fan is .7 (amps x volts) or IxV (.14 x 5) =.7
Is this a problem? .2watts higher? if so can I lower the volts to the fan by 1.4 using a pair of diodes? I understand most silicone diodes use .7volts
here is my proposed schematic.
i have 1n4002, 1n4007, bat85, bat46
VoltageDrop.png

Hi. A potentiometer is meant to pass much smaller currents as to drive a power transistor base/gate to control speed properly. Why is the supply to the fan dropped from 5V to 3.6V with D1 + D2 ? Do you realize doing that again with more diodes in series can step down the voltage to 2.9V, 2.2V, 1.6V, 0.9V, 0,2V which with a multi position switch can provide stepped voltages to 0V instead of destroying potentiometers ?

1629767650319.png

Much better to drop the voltage through diodes, as the reduction is much less dependent on the stability of the current drawn.

ak

The 1N4004 is rated at 400V and 1A.
The 1N4007 is rated at 1000V and 1A.

So either will work fine.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back