Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reduce battery's voltage by half ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmacgyver

I know it is an easy question, but I have forgotten all of this stuff and am trying to play around with something in my garage.

I need to reduce a AA battery's voltage, probably by half (1.5 - .75) What is the best way to do so, and what is the formula or theory behind it ?

Thanks

I need to reduce a AA battery's voltage, probably by half

For what purpose? How you do it will depend on what you'll do with it, though your options will be somewhat limited considering the very low voltage. The easiest way would be a voltage divider (two equal resistors in series with the voltage, tap the 1/2 Voltage between them) but that will only go so far...

j.

reduce batt voltage in half

hi,

both suggestions would do in reducing the voltage supply by about half. the diode would give a voltage drop of about 0.65v. for a voltage divider if you use a 1% tolerance you would probably get half of whatever voltage your battery have and you have to consider the heat to be dissipated by the resistors depending on you load.

mrmacgyver said:
I know it is an easy question, but I have forgotten all of this stuff and am trying to play around with something in my garage.

I need to reduce a AA battery's voltage, probably by half (1.5 - .75) What is the best way to do so, and what is the formula or theory behind it ?

As John said - WHY! - any possible solution will depend greatly on what you are wanting it for, and what the current demands are - I suspect you may well be asking the completely wrong question?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back