Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Red squares

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
Few days ago I noticed one poster with lots of red squares under its screen name.

I have the imprecise idea that green ones are points to enter kind of a hall of fame, but red? Hell maybe? :confused: :confused:

IIRC, somewhere between March and May.

Hmm, I knew exactly who you were talking about the moment I read the title of this thread :D

Green rep is good, Red rep is bad. In order to earn THAT MANY red squares, you have to be a really mean, rude, inappropriate abuser of the forum. IMHO, one should be banned automatically if he/she has 3 or more red bars. People with only 2 red bars still have the chance to bring it up again, but once you reach 3, you've ruined it for yourself. That's the way I see it, but that choice is not ultimately up to me.

Regards,
Matt

EM has recently changed the rep system as there was a little abuse.. Some people got more than they deserved. It's fairer now.

When someone has received too many bad rep marks, it will take quite a while before things return to "normal" ( If there is such a thing ).

Things have been good for quite some time now.....

Hmm, I knew exactly who you were talking about the moment I read the title of this thread :D

Green rep is good, Red rep is bad. In order to earn THAT MANY red squares, you have to be a really mean, rude, inappropriate abuser of the forum. IMHO, one should be banned automatically if he/she has 3 or more red bars. People with only 2 red bars still have the chance to bring it up again, but once you reach 3, you've ruined it for yourself. That's the way I see it, but that choice is not ultimately up to me.

Regards,
Matt

hi D8.
I agree with Ian's post, the Red squares in particular have been misused in the past.

I have seen members get a bad rep because of their poor English, or not being from a English speaking country or just being a 'kid' asking a naive question.

In the past I have seen younger members being goaded into a posting a abusive response and then getting a bad rep.

Administration and Moderators now Warn/Ban members who are 'rude' and disrespectful to other members, so I do not see any purpose in extending the Banning rules covering the number of Red squares a member has received.

Eric

@Eric,
Why even have red squares? I have yet to see anywhere on this forum a description of what they represent. Let the Moderators and Administration handle such personality issues as you describe.

Also, since green squares seem to be given for good jokes and light comedy (i.e., "hail fellow well met") at least as frequently as for sound electronic advice, why have green squares? In other words, we have a system for recognizing individual posts with a +1 or -1 opinion. Is there any correlation between the aggregate number of green squares and the value of that member's advice to the forum?

Perhaps, rather than having more valuable and less valuable members as a de facto consequence of the green square, we should simply record the number of "helpful" posts.

John

i have one question how does the green block works in the first time.:confused: the name excellent under my name will feel so good :eek:

i have one question how does the green block works in the first time.:confused: the name excellent under my name will feel so good :eek:

When people like your answer or you gave a GOOD answer, they should click the little star at the bottom of your post... This will increase your reputation as a "Good Helper"

People can also click the +1 "Did you find the post helpful" spin control..

thanks Ian, i was always wondering that.. anyways i got 2 ratings now.. how much it takes to change the newbie status?

thats great.. is there any prize for being more helpful like some holiday in carribbean or something?

if its like so there will be so many helpers here in forum.. and some give aways like thumb drives with ETO etched on it (just a suggestion).. or some games or problem solving.. etc.. :)

thats great.. is there any prize for being more helpful like some holiday in carribbean or something?

Ratings are a normal occurrence on internet fora. They are not just there to make you feel good about yourself. They're generally there more as a tool. They indicate whether or not your post is more likely to be true than another if they conflict. They represent experience level, so obviously one with many green bars is more trustworthy than one with many red bars.

I asked a similar question soon after I joined, and I was given a second green bar for a "good question", so I will pass this along to you. Use it wisely, and I trust you will contribute well to this forum later on :)

@Eric: I knew EM changed the rep system, but i was not sure exactly how. I trust you all know what you're doing, so thank you for your response :)

Best wishes,
Matt

thank you DerStorm8 I will do my best to keep my profile alive and to help the forum in every way I could.. thanks for the green block. Iam now good , not newbie :D !!
and i have many codes and circuits with me to share.

ETO rocks!

and please do start a section for Matlab and image processing section (open CV android stuffs) like that.. so many more users knowing that things can contribute to ETO too.

Ratings are a normal occurrence on internet fora. They are not just there to make you feel good about yourself. They're generally there more as a tool. They indicate whether or not your post is more likely to be true than another if they conflict. They represent experience level, so obviously one with many green bars is more trustworthy than one with many red bars.

I am very skeptical on the usefulness of the different rating systems. (And sure I know this had been debated in the so many forums, so many times).

The bad thing is that in many cases, they seem to mix, helpfulness, netiquette compliance and technical quality of the replies.

My worst experience comes from two forums (not ETO) where most of the top posters do it automatically even throwing true garbage to any question just to remain in the list. It was (is) a real shame. There are some that besides posting relevant answers do complete their "quota" with too many, "me too", "I like" "I do not know" and so on.

There is another, where posters (not very surprisingly, all from the same nationality) openly ask you, at the end of their reply, to click here or there to show that they helped you.

In the same line, there is a forum where one of the most knowledgeable poster was one of the most rude in the list. But his posts were gems of real knowledge.

I tend to post little as an answer in the fear of misleading the one who asked the initial question. I can see newbies boldly replying with pure guesses (not even educated ones) that risk to be considered a good post by a much missinformed OP.

In one forum I was congratulated by reaching a certain number of posts. I found that ridiculous. I do not care about it, much less about that rep thing.

Honestly, what difference could it make if I say that a reply from Eric was "good"? Who needs me to have an idea of the possible quality / credibility of his reponses?

To make clear what I think: I am not qualified to qualify technical replies. Not me, sure. The sole thing I accept is that I could say "it was helpful" but that is a different thing.

I preferred to mention Eric only to avoid any omission in the list of so many that helped me along these years,. Oh yes, I am certainly conscious about that.

Well, I asked what the red ones meant... :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back