Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

roronoa

hi everyone, i rectified a AC signal using a a half wave rectifier, when i measure the current at the output, it seems to fluctuate(keeps on changing about +- 10mA from the actual value).

can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?can this be solved if i use a full wave rectifier instead of a half wave rectifier??? thanks for replying.

hi everyone, i rectified a AC signal using a a half wave rectifier, when i measure the current at the output, it seems to fluctuate(keeps on changing about +- 10mA from the actual value).

can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?can this be solved if i use a full wave rectifier instead of a half wave rectifier??? thanks for replying.

first use an oscilloscope to measure that how your output is.....
is it actually as you are saying or something else...

R u sure the current swings from positive to negative.in a rectifier the current cant flow in both directions.make sure the diode u r using is working properly

im using a multimeter to measure the current, i set it to DC mode since i already rectified it to a DC from AC using a half wave rectifier.

The value of the current should be around 150mA. but now my multimeter shows that the value keep on changing from 140-160mA. It wont stay still at a certain value.

Last edited:
Sounds like your DMM is very simplistic. The reading variation results from the intrinsic "sampling" of the complex waveform. My $250 high quality DMM has a "true RMS" reading mode; my $5 Harbor Freight Cheapo Chinese DMM does not.

you said its a signal?? depends on the application you can use a capacitor to smooth it, so if you have no other option to check it with a good DMM then try to put a cap and check.

im using a multimeter to measure the current, i set it to DC mode since i already rectified it to a DC from AC using a half wave rectifier.

The value of the current should be around 150mA. but now my multimeter shows that the value keep on changing from 140-160mA. It wont stay still at a certain value.

You're only getting a variation of a few percent. The grid voltage is not perfectly constant, and will cause some variation in the output current of a simple rectifier loaded with a resistive load.

Set your meter to measure AC voltage and connect it to the secondary of your transformer (the winding feeding the rectifier; I'm assuming you're using a transformer), and monitor that for a while; see if you don't get a slightly variable voltage.

If you know how to do it safely, you could measure the line voltage at the wall outlet and see if you don't also get variation there.

Last edited:
the output you are geting is pulsating DC. so use a filter circuit to get pure DC output from it.... and then check the output. It could be because of ripples.

What is the load and is the load a constant? What rate (approximately) does the current change at?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back