Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recording video, converting and storing to a microSD - Dedicated IC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esm.

Hello all.

I starting a new project where I need to record video (and optionally audio) with a small camera (no need of high quality video record), convert the video do a known format, like MPEG, AVI or other who require less disk space (mp4, flv etc). I need to store them to a microSD card, hard disk or other storage device (I think that microSd is the easiest way and more practical). The recorded videos will be watched on a PC when required, by removing the storage from the electronic device and connecting it to a PC.

My doubt is: Which dedicated ICs could be used to to the job of reading the camera frames (and maybe a mic), convert the camera frames to a known format (avi, mpeg etc) and store it as a movie file in the SDcard or hard disk???

An IC triggered by a microcontroler would be great. Or maybe a development board with all necessary components assembled (camera, mic, converter IC, microcontroller, microsd device and others). Somebody know a dev board who do that?

I'm searching for such ICs. I can buy all the necessary components for this project on DIGIKEY (preferentially), because every month I buy some components from them.

Abstract:
CAMERA + MIC (optional) <----> DEDICATED IC??? <----> MICROSD CARD or HARD DISK

Preferentially, the dedicated IC will have IO pins to communicate with a microcontroller and could do the following:
- Interface with a camera and a MIC (optional)
- Convert the camera frames to a know video format (avi, mpeg, etc)
- Store video file in the microSD card or hard disk

The dedicated IC could be also substituted by a video encoder + video compressor, in separeted ICs.

Somebody have suggestions of dedicated ICs for this project?
Development boards to do that?
Or maybe some easier methods to implement this project?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10061
Here is a camera that has JPEG output and serial. A small micro computer can talk serial and SD card. The camera has many different formats from VGA to 160x120.

Capturing video and compressing video are hard tasks that this camera takes care of.

I think there are other cameras like this with higher resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back